Plaster help! Cause for concern ? Quartzscape finish today and pool filling

The pool installer said that as the pool fills the plaster will hydrate and expand. The hollow sound and hairline cracks will both go away

Well you cannot hear hollow sounds once the pool is filled with water. So the pool installer hopes that will just go away since you cannot check it anymore.

The cracks are not a big problem but the hollow sounds are.

see photos below

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 23
I email NPT and they referred me to npc. I emailed NPC. Awaiting reponse. Id call but i would like a response in writing especially if it covers my butt and provides proof for my claims

I would be VERY suprised if you get any satisfactory response.

The pool installer said that as the pool fills the plaster will hydrate and expand. The hollow sound and hairline cracks will both go away

Some hairline cracks will indeed hydrate and disappear. What you have going on is plaster that is not adhered to the shell. Filing the pool and ignoring it won't fix it.

That's a killer pool, I would really pursue this issue. Which sucks because the project looks basically done.

Does the shell look dirty to anyone or is it just the color of the gunite?

I emailed NPT. They said to contact NPC
NPT is the maker of the plaster, so they should be willing to help you.

File a warranty claim and request that they get involved and help you make this right.

NPC is the National Plasterers Council and they should also be willing to help.

Is the plaster company a member of the National Plasterers Council?

You can get a copy of the NPC Technical Guide, which has a section on Troubleshooting.

1695138633177.png

1695138413866.png

I dont think this is covered under NPTs warranty. In fact, their warranty seems pretty worthless now that I am reading it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the shell look dirty to anyone or is it just the color of the gunite?
It looks dirty.

Bad surface prep is one of the many reasons that the plaster will delaminate.

There might be one major reason that the bond failed or possibly several big or small issues that caused the bond failure/delamination.

It is not a good sign that the plaster applicator is try to weasel out of their responsibility to make this right.

Covering it with water is not going to magically make the plaster bond to the gunite.

Ask the NPC to give you some guidance on resolving the matter especially if the plaster company is a member of the NPC.

Is the builder a member of the PHTA?

They wrote the ANSI/APSP/ICC/NPC-12 2016 American National Standard for the Plastering of Swimming Pools and Spas.

See if they will help.

Pool & Hot Tub Alliance

2111 Eisenhower Ave., Suite 500. Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 838-0083. [email protected]

I dont think this is covered under NPTs warranty. In fact, their warranty seems pretty worthless now that I am reading it.

NPT is just going to say it is an installation issue not a material issue.

NPC is usually pretty good, they will agree with us, but they have no power to force the installer to fix it.

Is there any warranty on workmanship from your installer or builder? If you don't have that, or some money still due that you can withhold it is going to be hard to force them to do anything without some kind of legal action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.