Plaster experience needed

LTPOrangePool

Feb 21, 2019
Port Orange, FL
What am I looking at? I recently bought a house with this pool. I am currently draining for high cya, thought good as time as any for pics of the plaster. When I pulled and cleaned the cartridge the first time, there was a couple pounds of sand in the bottom of the canister, presumably from the pool itself. I think it is around 20 years old, and don't know how well it was kept up. When I got involved I think the calcium level was around 180.20190427_082329_resized.jpg20190428_090929_resized.jpg20190428_091506_resized.jpg20190430_122100_resized.jpg20190430_151124_resized.jpg20190430_151108_resized.jpg20190428_091232_resized.jpg

Is this what 20 year old plaster pools look like? Is this poor maintenance/calcium deficiency or shoddy workmanship? Or all of the above? This last pic in the water at the shallow end has what looks like a small pile of plaster on the floor, it is about an inch off the grade. Did someone/previous homeowner try to repair/patch this pool? I figured going in it would need a full chip out and replaster, but would like to get one summer use out of it before it's tore up. Thanks

I think 20 years is pretty good for plaster to last. It is just worn out and time fore a replacement. With the shape it is in, I am not sure I would give it one more season especially since you are emptying the pool which could cause further damage. I would be on the phone now with plaster guys getting quotes. They should be able to do the entire job in 1 week or so.

For prices it depends probably off-season but not always. Installation should take place during the season too cold is not good.

Reactions: Rich D
Where I'm at I think there would only be a few weeks a year under 50; I think I'll look for some places this summer and plan for Sept/Oct, should still be in the 80s easily. My concern is trying to do it as it is hitting 100 degrees and curing too fast. Thanks, I thought I might be looking at previous patches, that's one less variable going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.