Pipes shaking + bubbles when pump first turns on

kingst

Jul 14, 2020
Davis, CA
Hi TFP,

I just had solar panels installed in my pool and they're working well. The only problem is when my pump starts up first thing in the morning I get a LOT of bubbles and the pipes near my pump and filter shake. I have looked around and didn't see a leak, and I do understand that solar panels can lead to bubbles when they're on, but with this type of shaking my plumbing isn't going to last very long. Plus I'm confident that my solar system isn't on first thing in the morning.

Is this normal or do I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks!

--Sam

Most solar has an air vac relief built in. It allows the panels to drain out after the solar turns off. This prevents damage from frost and increases life of panels. Depending on where it’s plumbed and connected to system it could be draining out return line, so when it turns on it purges that air. Do you have a picture of the equipment?

I’m sorry it’s really difficult to see where the equipment is tied in because it’s black and looks like it’s tied in behind the spigot. Can you give me a clearer view of where the solar is tied in?

Here's what I can see: the valve that is connected to my solar automation is on the solar return path. Here's what it looks like:

pool_solar_plumbing.jpg

Intuitively I would assume that the solar valve would go on the "to solar" junction, but I'm not sure what's standard. Drawing it out makes me think that this is the problem, but would love to get more informed opinions about this.

I’ve seen it done both way, as long as the “to solar” and “from solar” is after the check valve, and it’s not draining back out intakes causing your pump to reprime every morning this is normal practice. If it is Draining everything (pump, filter) you may want to replace that swing check valve with a spring or a Jandy check valve.

Makes sense. The filter and the pump aren't draining, so it sounds like this is to be expected. Maybe I should just not worry about shaking in my plumbing that happens when it starts up? Again, this is just intuition but it seems like I'm setting myself up for problems down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.