Pink slime and shocking

May 2, 2021
Burlington, MA
Help -:)
I have kept my water balanced, SWG running at 55%, Chlorine at ~4 and CYA ~70. I do have some Iron staining which I have not dealt with yet but am planning to treat. I had not been shocking the pool, since I thought with salt and minimal amounts of combined chlorine when tested, that I really didn't need to. Perhaps I was wrong. It rained, and the next morning I had 3 small areas with pink slime on them. So I brushed them off, and shocked with ProTeam "Quick Shock", which I later realized has stabilizer in it and is only about 60% available Chlorine. This was 2 days ago. Took water down for a test today ( I have the Taylor 2005 kit which doesn't titrate total/free chlorine so I couldn't get an accurate free and combined reading). Pool store test says Free Chlorine 6.5 and Total 7.96. So.... my question: 1.) If the combined chlorine is 1.46, do I need to shock again/SLAM? Water is clear, pink spots brushed right off. 2.) Since I used stabilized chlorine, should I shock again with Calcium Hypochlorite to get a higher % available chlorine? 3.)Any role for algaecide here? To make matters worse, I am leaving town tonight for the weekend, so I either leave it alone till Monday or shock it again tonight and then leave it. SWG currently turned down to 10%... I can adjust it remotely so was planning to turn it back up in a day or two. What do y'all recommend?? This pink stuff terrifies me that trouble could be looming....

If you are leaving, I would turn the SWG up to 100% and add enough liquid chlorine to bring the pool to shock level. If your CYA was 70 and you have added a stabilized product it is now higher. I would shoot for at least 30. Based on the figures in your post that would require aprox 7-8 gallons of 10%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.