Pinging sound from auto fill valve area

iamtexmax

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2018
Austin
Hello,
The auto fill valve is on the outside wall of my son's bedroom. This morning my wife asked me to investigate a pinging or like a small leaking sound - it is coming from the flexible pipe attached to the auto fill valve (pic attached) - any idea what it can be? It is continuous and sounds like the second hand ticking of a watch (don't know how else to describe it - but it is audible)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 19
Turn the green shut off handle so that it is vertical (it’s a 1/4 turn shut off valve). Does the noise stop?

I just got home and did that - the noise stops....

Welp … time trace out the line from the backflow preventer to the auto fill well at the pool and see if you find any wet or soggy spots..

Also, check the auto fill valve and tell us what type it is. The Korky style toilet bowl float valves are used a lot and they fail pretty easily.

Did they really use PEX tubing to make the run to the auto fill??

Just my opinion but I absolutely HATE seeing PEX used in buried applications. I know some plumbers love the stuff but I’d much rather run hard PVC pipe for anything underground. Or copper. In spite of what people think, buried copper pipes (if the right grade is chosen) can last 50+ years underground without fail.

The pipe is buried under slabs of concrete (patio) under the pool....regarding wet or soggy spots - its raining today - hopefully weather clears up soon - here is a pic of the float valve

Is there anything I can do....or should I call a pool company to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, that’s one of those toilet bowl style float valves. The bladder in the top part sometimes go bad especially if they didn’t use one that’s rated for chlorinated water use. Similar to how toilet bowls have different grades of rubber flap valves, one for non-chlorinated water and ones for chlorinated water use.

I would turn the source valve back on and then look at the auto fill valve. See if it’s leaking at the top. Push the float up and down to see if the noise stops.

My guess is the fill valve is going bad and needs to be replaced. Or, if you’re lucky, there’s just debris causing it to stay open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.