Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I took a sample of water to store to compare CYA and now have a few questions.

1. Should I be concerned about phosphates? They say its high at 841ppb. Should be less than 100. The Taylor kit does not check phosphates.

2. They claim Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, sold as Alkalinity Up, is better than Baking soda because the Alkalinity will be more stable when I add acid to correct PH. Is this true?

• Haha
Reactions: Donldson
1) No
2) Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate is the same thing as Baking Soda. See the link below.

Stay out of the pool store. Your experience is a great example on why no one should rely on their advice.

Fishy,

Now you can see why we are so skeptical of pool stores. You almost got "pool store'd" but fortunately you came here instead. They are conflicted, we aren't because we don't sell anything. We have true experts, they don't understand the chemistry for the products they sell. They're not all this terrible but problem is you don't know what you have until it's too late.

Congrats on doing the right thing... too often we are helping people straighten out their messed up pool treating for things that don't matter.

Good luck to you.

Chris

This thread is incorrectly titled ? The phosphate talk is par for the course. The claim that sodium hydrogen carbonate is better than baking soda is the real gem here. For comparison, imagine I told you that you shouldn't drink water and should only drink H2O because it hydrates you better. Yep, it's that insane of a statement.

This place uses a computer to test the water samples, so at least I found out my other test results are the same. Specifically CYA because that one is really subjective/ difficult for me, and want to make sure my chlorine is at the correct level according to the CYA chart. Fortunately I checked with you guys before buying anything. Thank you.

I might be wrong, but I told them that Chlorine should take care of the Phosphate level?

Their computer testing is no better and most likely not as accurate as your own testing. The specificity it provides does not insure accuracy.

Phosphate level does not matter as long as you keep you FC above minimum based on the FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Fishy1234
The only thing less reliable than pool store testing is pool store computer testing. Digital testing requires regular maintenance and calibration and since accuracy of test results doesn't increase sales it's not something most pool stores bother with. Seriously, the laughably unrealistic numbers we see from pool stores with digital testing can fill a book.

Reactions: Fishy1234
A lot of stores are using LaMottes spin disk system, the disks are preloaded with reagents that are then filled from a syringe. These disks are spun for a set time frame and then light is shine through them and the colours are compared to set parameters. A colorimeter. The store can then program the software to spit out recommended chemicals and quantities.

I’ve done thousands of these tests, while they can be very accurate for certain readings like cya or chlorine, they are brutally off on ph and alkalinity. The result is you end up leaving the store with chemicals you either don’t require, or far too much of them.

NOTHING BEATS THE ACCURACY OF TITRATION TESTING....PERIOD.

If there's a contest for stupidest pool store advice, I vote for this.

Also, computers can't test water.

Computers receive information from sensors that test water.
Someone should start a thread with the most outrageous pool comments... oh I think there is one...;)
One of my favs is being told by the Tester, with a wink and a nod, that he didn't think their tests were very accurate...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.