Phosphate Levels

JpoC

Oct 6, 2017
Lake Forest / CA
Hi All,

Just got a comprehensive water test done at Leslie's. Their test matches up perfectly to mine, so that's good. I have no way of testing phosphates, so that's why I took in a sample. Question... do I really have to treat for phosphates reading the results below? Everything is right on the money (patting myself on back). Phosphates they claim as high, if above 100 ppb. I just added a solar cover and noticed a spot or two of yellow algae the other day. They said that's all circulation related. Soooo.. do i go through the trouble of using Phosfree?

My test results:
FAC : 3
TAC : 3
CH : 200
CYA : 60
TA : 80 (just added up, to get to 90)
pH: 7.4
Copper : 0
Iron : 0
TDS : 950
Phos: 300 ppb (recommended below 100ppb by Leslies)

Thanks!

There is no reason to test for or care about phosphates.

Just keep your FC at the appropriate level for your CYA.

Don't waste money on the Phosfree. Use that money to buy bleach for the SLAM Process process since you have algae.

Also, forget about pool store testing and I don't think you have a good enough test kit. Throw the strips away and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits

There is no reason to test for or care about phosphates.

Just keep your FC at the appropriate level for your CYA.

Don't waste money on the Phosfree. Use that money to buy bleach for the SLAM Process process since you have algae.

Also, forget about pool store testing and I don't think you have a good enough test kit. Throw the strips away and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits

Thanks! I actually use the Poolmaster test kit. Seems to work well. The strips I only dip when I'm in a rush to check chlorine real quick. I'll look into the SLAM process. Thanks for taking the phosphate anxiety away!

Hi All,

Just got a comprehensive water test done at Leslie's. Their test matches up perfectly to mine, so that's good. I have no way of testing phosphates, so that's why I took in a sample. Question... do I really have to treat for phosphates reading the results below? Everything is right on the money (patting myself on back). Phosphates they claim as high, if above 100 ppb. I just added a solar cover and noticed a spot or two of yellow algae the other day. They said that's all circulation related. Soooo.. do i go through the trouble of using Phosfree?

My test results:
FAC : 3
TAC : 3
CH : 200
CYA : 60
TA : 80 (just added up, to get to 90)
pH: 7.4
Copper : 0
Iron : 0
TDS : 950
Phos: 300 ppb (recommended below 100ppb by Leslies)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The reason you are seeing algae is because your FC is too low for your CYA level.

Don’t concern yourself with the phosphates. Save your money.

Why did you adjust your TA? 80ppm was just fine. The Alkalinity Up you used is just plain baking soda.

How do you normally chlorinate?

With a CYA of 60ppm, you should be targeting a FC of 7-9ppm. I believe that is outside the range of your FC test kit.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.