Phosphate level

lakeboater

Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Naples, FL
The experts on the site continually warn about pool stores and I suppose that also extends to pool service companies. My service company told me that my phosphates were at 2000ppb and I needed a removal treatment for $125. I noticed that the TFP recommendation is that the treatment is normally not required. I questioned the company about the necessity and the cost and they detailed the rather involved process.

In the mean time I ordered a Taylor phos test kit. My results were 125 ppb. Needless to say I am not getting the treatment and the pool company is more than likely history.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Needless to say I am not getting the treatment and the pool company is more than likely history.
You did good. :goodjob: For most of us, phosphates are irrelevant. And while there may be some unique scenairos where a pool may gain an advantage to know their levels, for most it simply doesn't matter. As you have proven once again, by getting your own test kit and testing those levels on your own, you can see where store testing is often flawed - along with theri advice. Nice job.

Its one thing to say you need to get rid of them, but for 125 bucks? And holy, 2k ppb vs 125 ppb is quite the difference. I do like to do a phosphate treatment every couple years, but TFP has made me less scared of them. Only costs about 20 bucks for a bottle that works out to 2 treatments for my pool size. And the process is nothing if you time it with when your filter will need to be cleaned, just dump the recommended amount in and wait the 3-5 days, well maybe more for sand, not sure how that would go.

I just worry that something could happen, I go to the store, meteor hits destroying the 2 roads to my house, zombies(created from teh meteor) force me to hike around the forest, and into my street from the opposite direction, its been 7 days, algae started and the phosphates helped it spread fast, neighbors dog got in the pool, mutated into some monster and kills me. So a bit out there, but reasonable!

• Haha
Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.