pHin water testing gadget

As I said in the linked post, the actual unit tests 3 things, pH, ORP, and temperature. ORP sensors are used to measure chlorine but CYA throws off the results, so you are left with a wifi pH and temperature sensor. So how do they measure everything else? Test strips...

Yes, very interesting concept, I would buy a dozen of them if they measured everything the TF-100 measures and did it accurately. But as usual in the pool world, marketing sells you on filet mignon and a box of ground horse meat arrives instead.

There's another one in the works called My Sutro. It will be released in Feb/March 2018. The guy I emailed with promises a different type of sensor than "those other vendors you are probably looking at" as he put it.

I've been looking at pHin as well. While looking for reviews, I came across the reviews on Amazon. 37 glaring reviews with perfect grammar and punctuation (doesn't happen in reviews) and they read like advertisements instead of reviews. So, this was the first thing that made me not trust this company. Fake reviews.

Also, pHin's website does say it supports using your own chemicals.

Yeah, we have plenty on Sutro too, Ravi even joined the discussion. Briefly. They are already about two years behind schedule (previous release dates are documented in those threads) so these never-before-seen sensors developed by a tiny startup better be impressive!

lots of hate on here for the cheap strips. i used them semi-daily, then my taylor weekly. saves time and $$$ in my opinion. they may not be as accurate, but they let me know if something is out of whack at least (like SWG isnt working).
Great if that works for you until it doesn't. We've had members test with test strips out of the same bottle back to back and gotten completely different results. And I just can't see how that would actually save you money to use a second test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great if that works for you until it doesn't. We've had members test with test strips out of the same bottle back to back and gotten completely different results. And I just can't see how that would actually save you money to use a second test kit.

Agreed. You would be better off with an inexpensive OTO test kit if you just want to check for the presence of chlorine, much more reliable than guess strips. Test strips are really useless for pool management.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.