PH TA Anomaly

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
I let the pool go green for winter. Just got my TF100 refills. PH appears purple......too high to be accurat. But, TA is measuring 40--which is where I expected based on history. Not a newbi by any means but not sure how to address this. TA doesn't need to go any lower but addressing PH will lower it?

If you have the acid-demand drops (R-0005 or R-0015 depending on the kit), you can use those to see if the color of the pH test solution changes when you add them.

You might check for ammonia if you have a test kit for it ($8 at an aquarium shop).

Matt....I do not have an acid demand test or ammonia test ammonia wouldn't surprise me as I've never let the pool get this bad before and I had pretty high CYA last time I tested in the fall and Im measuring definitely less than 20 now. Since my TA is 40, can I ignore this PH reading and just proceed with SLAM level chlorine?

pH tends to increase in cold water and will decrease when the water warms up. Our pool does something very similar to what you’re seeing every winter. I suspect it’ll drop somewhat as the water warms up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.