Ph relation to fc…kids bday party in two hours lol!!

jrh590

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2021
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! I’m on my phone bc computer crashed, so I apologize if easy forum search answers these questions.

1- a low ph means high acidity means more discomfort for swimmers? Would a ph higher like 8 cause a noticeable difference in feeling to swimmers?

2- my ph has been rock steady at 7.2 for at least one month. In the last week I’ve had to add about 3 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine. My fc is currently 10.5. Cya 50. I need to do the slam but haven’t been able to yet bc I have chlorine loss when shouldn’t. I just rated my ph and I believe it is at 8 (hard to tell with color chart). Does ph go up when add chlorine? Do you think that happened here with the amount I added? My TA is 130.
3- someone said with a high fc it makes ph hard to measure accurately. Since my fc is 10.5, would that be the likely reason my ph is reading 8 and artificially high?
Thanks!

The pH test is not valid at a FC of 10 and above.

The pH will rise with the initial adding of liquid chlorine, but overall the effect is pH neutral as the FC is consumed.

A pH of 8 is fine to swim in. Possibly more comfortable than a pool with pH of 7.2.

Given your TA of 130, your pH will rise quickly from the low 7's. Suggest you lower pH to about 7.4 before the party. With a bunch of kids splashkng around (aerating the water) the pH will rise rather quickly. After the party, recheck pH and dose accordingly. Don't forget, the pH test is invalid when FC is above 10.

You mention a need to SLAM Process . Be sure FC is above minimum and below SLAM Process levels for your CYA - FC/CYA Levels - and that you can clearly see the entire bottom of the pool floor. If you can't do this, don't let anyone in the pool - safety first!

Given your TA of 130, your pH will rise quickly from the low 7's. Suggest you lower pH to about 7.4 before the party. With a bunch of kids splashkng around (aerating the water) the pH will rise rather quickly. After the party, recheck pH and dose accordingly. Don't forget, the pH test is invalid when FC is above 10.

You mention a need to SLAM Process . Be sure FC is above minimum and below SLAM Process levels for your CYA - FC/CYA Levels - and that you can clearly see the entire bottom of the pool floor. If you can't do this, don't let anyone in the pool - safety first!
Water is crystal clear and I’ve spent good time this week brushing and vacuuming as well as getting numbers dialed in. Just have an underlying algae problem excaberated by high phosphorus I have ignored. Fc has dropped from 15 to 3 in three days despite a cover and only one heavy use day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.