Ph questions

Hello -

This is my first summer using TFP -- so far so good! My main issue is I tend to have trouble reading my Ph and need advice on where to keep it for closing (pool company is closing us later this month).

Here are my latest numbers:

FC = 4.5
PH= 7.7 or 7.8
CYA = 30
Alk = 70 to 75
CH = 150

Using bleach and have a vinyl liner. Ph has been hovering in that range all summer. Have only added a small amount of MA over the course of the summer when it starts to look like 7.9. I think it's possible there are days it may hit 7.9 in the morning (before the bleach from the night before gets used?). I tend to test in the late afternoon and that's when it usually looks like 7.7 or 7.8. The pool store tests I have had done are typically around 7.8. For the most part, ALK and Ph sit right at levels you see here. What can I expect with the Ph after the pool is closed? We have a solid safety cover. Should I make efforts to get the Ph down lower just before closing, especially since when it gets shocked near closing Ph is likely to rise from the bleach?

Do I need to try to get the alkalinity a bit lower via MA so that the Ph tends to hover in a bit lower ranges? If so, since I only have 2 weeks til close, what do you recommend?

Thanks

In my opinion, if your ph was that stable all summer, leave it well enough alone. Lowering TA takes time so you probably won't get that done prior to closing anyway. To lower the TA, you lower the ph and then you aerate. If it makes you feel better, add MA to lower your ph before closing. Not sure what part of the country you are in, but for me, I gain so much water over the winter that my levels need adjusting at opening no matter where I left them - mostly my CYA and salt levels get diluted over the winther.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in southern NJ. Don't tend to get much water added to the pool in offseason from rainfall. Safety cover manufacturer requires we keep it up to around normal level so we check it periodically and have never had to add water.

Does Ph tend to drift up while winterized? I guess you're saying I'm in a range that it won't matter for causing issues down the road if this does happen?

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.