Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hey folks,
I have several water features in my pool and I don’t run them for many hours during the day but I’m sure that’s always moving my PH levels up quickly. I know about borates but I’m hesitant to use them now that I have a dog in the pool FREQUENTLY. I don’t know if I’ve found a definitive conclusion about the safety of borates and humans/animals. Of course I don’t let me dog drink the water but inherently he intakes water by diving, fetching and just being a dog.
Here’s my question, every week I lower my PH with MA usually from 8.0 to ideal levels. Is there anything else out there that can help with PH swings aside from borates. I know they do wonders (used them in my last pool) but I’m trying to be conscious of chems in the water. Also, I’m trying to reduce the run time on my infinity edge (to help reduce PH increase through aeration) but I have to run it several times per day to keep the lower pool healthy. Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers!

You would have to have orders of magnitude greater in Borates for it to negatively effect your dog. We've had Borates in our pool for the past two years and the Jack Russell is fine.

Good looking numbers. :goodjob: You are good to let the TA fall on its own a little more following post-pH treatments with acid. You can probably let the TA go to 50-60 which might slow the pH rise. I wouldn't let the TA go any lower than 50 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkmscr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.