PH is high after shocking

May 15, 2017
New York
Opened the pool this week and it was green and had a ton of algae. I was told to reciculate pool, add four bags of shock. Vacuum to waste. Add algicide and then shock again. This morning it was starting to clear up and I had perfect PH. Added shock and the ph level went sky high. Is this normal? Should I add ph down or wait until the morning and retest?

Thanks

To answer the question, a Taylor pH test is not valid when FC is above 10, other quality kits are rarely valid above 5 FC, and some cheap kits are not valid when the FC is over 3. So don't adjust it unless you test the pH as being high when the FC is low enough for the test to be valid.

On the topic of green pools, the method you are attempting is not how we would recommend you go about it. The SLAM Process process is the best way to get a green pool clear and keep it that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.