PH going up faster than normal

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I only use liquid chlorine and my PH usually goes up very slowly. I usually have to adjust with Muriatic acid once a month or so. Lately it is rising very rapidly with having to add some muriatic acid weekly. I have added some water, not much, an no other chemicals, any ideas? ...or is it just the time of year (heating up the pool lately), and I just forgot what happened a year ago :)

What is your current TA and what is the TA of your fill water?

Could be that your TA has risen with fill water. If you just manage your pH, and TA will come back down over time and your pH will rise more slowly after TA comes down.

OK measured fresh tap water and the TA is about 80. My test kits says the pools water should be 100-120 for a chlorine pool, but frankly I do not know what to do about this? I never remembered adding muriatic acid so regularly. If this is just a fundamental of my water source I guess there is nothing I can do but to add acid to lower the PH correct?

TA for your pool is best between 50-80. The fill water TA raises the TA in the pool when you add fill water. Likely you have not used as much fill water in the past as you have this year. Dry, windy weather has evaporation rates pretty high.

OK, thanks, so with TA of around 80 for new tap water, I should expect my PH to rise when adding water? If so, I can just add MA as needed, but since it seemed an unusually high amount, just checking nothing else was wrong. I check FC daily and CYA is 40 so I am OK there

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.