PH concern?

Gigs97c

May 26, 2020
Davenport, Iowa
Hello - I had a PH over 8 last week. I adjusted using muratic acid according to calculator, and it dropped to 7.4. But had since rose back to 7.8 in about 4 days. How do I get it to stay, concerned about over shooting PH drop with more acid but maybe I’m being too cautious. Have a Taylor 2006 kit. 40,000 vinyl in ground pool.

PH - 7.8
Alkalinity - 260
CYA - 70
CH - 325
FC - 6.5
CC - 0
Temp - 85

Your alkalinity is driving up your pH. Have you tested your fill water for TA and CH??
Keep a close eye on your pH and lower it each week or when it gets to 8.
Eventually your TA will drop and stabilize along with your pH. In the meantime calculate your CSI and if out of range you may need to drive your TA down faster with aeration and acid additions.

Regarding your CYA level, how are you sanitizing your water?

List your description of the pool in your signature for us when you have questions in the future.

With TA of 260 the PH will rise rather quickly. If you have any water falls or features it goes up quicker yet. Even splashing around raises it.
As you add muriatic acid to lower PH the TA will slowly lower too.

Your alkalinity is driving up your pH. Have you tested your fill water for TA and CH??
Keep a close eye on your pH and lower it each week or when it gets to 8.
Eventually your TA will drop and stabilize along with your pH. In the meantime calculate your CSI and if out of range you may need to drive your TA down faster with aeration and acid additions.

Regarding your CYA level, how are you sanitizing your water?

List your description of the pool in your signature for us when you have questions in the future.
Fixed the signature. CYA was up super high because I was using tablets for the first 2 months of the year before I found TFP. Needless to say, pool store had my pool a mess before I started testing on my own. Have not tested fill water but knowing our area, that’s a good idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.