PH a color I have not seen before

GreenTerrorPool

Jan 4, 2017
PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL
Hello All, winter in full effect here in South Florida (lots of day time highs in high 60,s!!!)
Just a question my PH test balance shows a color i have never really seen before. a Dark almost burnt orange (similar to the 7.2 color on my scale but much darker) Am i doing something wrong. I keep just adding a little PH to keep the PH low as i always seem to do that, but this is my first winter.

Also, no heater so not swimming much, so the Chorine on the SWG is at 18 % and I still am running high on the CL level

thanks
GTP

How high is your FC? If over 10 ppm, then it effects your pH reading. Though the color you are indicating would seem to be that the pH has crashed to the low side. Test your TA.

I doubt you are using your water falls or bubblers like you do in the warmer seasons. Those drive up your pH and require more acid additions.

From your post it sounds like you are adding chemicals with out testing. That is not a good practice.

Take care.

Dark orange is not a color that the ph indicator will normally be. Are you getting the same result on subsequent tests?

Try testing tap water to see if you get a normal result.

Did the reagent freeze?

Green,

You stated, "I keep just adding a little PH to keep the PH low as i always seem to do that, but this is my first winter."

I think you meant "I keep adding 'Muratic acid' to keep your pH low", yes?

What's happened is, if you have added the same amt of MA to your winter pool waters as you have your summer pool waters, your pH has dropped off the charts. You need to add a boat load of baking soda to your pool and turn on ALL aeration devices ASAP.

Doesn't look like you have heater so no damage there, but your pumps on prolonged 6.X can cause issues...you can also dilute your water an add more

Good luck, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.