Comeby

Jul 13, 2015
Frisco, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have conventional in ground in Texas, use TFP method and keep CSI within the range, (CYA - 40-50, Ph 7.7, FC around 2 most of the time). When I let my dog out, he has a habit of drinking our pool water. It doesn't seem to bother him or give him the poops so I'm assuming its ok. That being said, in this hot Texas heat, sometimes our shrubs needs to extra watering. It's a bit of a chore to lug out the hose, or running a certain irrigation station.

Does anyone grab a bucket of pool water to water some plants?

I've never used pool water for plants so can't answer that.....but I'm more concerned with your low FC. You're just sending out those invitations to algae for the party. Do you remember ever seeing the FC/CYA reference? Let this guide you --> FC/CYA Levels While it gives you a *minimum* of 4ppm FC, ideally for a CYA level of 50 you should aim for 6-8ppm FC to allow for sun loss daily yet keeps some FC in the water. Daily sun loss can be 2-4ppm.

Your dog should be fine, as long as you haven't added borates to your water.

Maddie :flower:

Pool water is should conceivably be toxic to plant life. Otherwise plant life and things like algae grow in your pool. An occasional hit of pool water on mature plants is probably ok but I wouldn’t make a habit of it.

It is not recommended to water plants with pool water for the above reasons. As a plant person, I would never do it intentionally. However, our pool has 4' of decking on one side. Our dogs bring massive amounts of water out with them onto that side and it all flows directly into a garden area full of many things but along the edge is Big Blue liriope. I will say over the years (8), it's vitality has diminished compared to similar large stands of it elsewhere on the property. Not sure if it could be continued FC exposure or salt build-up, or something unrelated, but the signs are clear it's something. Several rounds of 10-10-10 fertilizer haven't restored it's vitality. Also, when I dump large quantities of pool water in my lawn at pool closing, it does cause the grass to go off color a bit in the drainage area. More so the time or two I did it with elevated FC levels (approaching SLAM), but even some with normal levels.

So that's a few data points of it potentially not being the best for live plants. It stands to reason that it's not the best, so I wouldn't do it intentionally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.