Persistent algae issue

Linen has pointed out a great place to start reading. Here is what I wrote at the same time:

Why do you want to flow rate? There is really no need to know it ... I don't ... anyway ...

I think some reading of Pool School over the closed season would help with your understanding.

Your CYA appears to be reasonable (which is surprising based on the amount of tablets you are using ... which could just point to inaccurate testing at the pool store). You need to realize that the tablets are adding FC and CYA and lowering the pH. The FC is consumed by the sun and organics, the CYA stays in the pool. Eventually the CYA gets too high and pucks with NEVER be able to add enough FC to prevent algae.

What "shock" are you using? If it is powder, that is either adding more CYA or CH ... both of which are bad when they get too high.

You are at a point (assuming the CYA is correct), that you need to STOP using tablets and stick to liquid chlorine / bleach to raise and maintain your FC.

Algae does not always make the water green, or be visible on the pool. Sometimes it just makes the water cloudy or sometimes it is just hiding somewhere.

I would recommend doing the OCLT which would confirm the presence of algae or something that is consuming the FC in the pool, but that really requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test to do correctly. That test is also required to correct follow the shock process.

If you just want to limp by for the rest of the season and the water is basically clear, just keep adding liquid chlorine every day to keep your chlorine test reading high (you can go pretty high on the FC before it is not safe).

If you provide your pool and equipment details in your signature (specifically volume), I can give you an idea of how much bleach you should be adding every day.

I understand your frustration, and your reluctance to purchase the good test kit until next season as you are ready to close shortly... but it will be imperative to have it then. It will be the best money you ever spent on your pool and will likely save you a ton of money thereafter, by not depending on pool store results that are intended to sell products. I will attempt to give you a shortened version of pool school from the viewpoint of a person who had pool issues (a swamp, more specifically) and absolutely NO knowledge of anything pool related.

From the numbers you posted above, assuming you have 38 CYA, your minimum chlorine should always be around 5 and never go under 3. Going under 3 will create conditions for algae growth. You can maintain that level with the yellow and red chlorine/pH test kit that is readily available at local box stores, Walmart and pool stores. You will see that 5 is the max on those tests and you can keep your pool dosed to the max that way. However, that is only good for maintaining a pool that is not fighting algae.

Since you are fighting algae at the moment and should be shocking (our shock is a process, not a product that gets dumped into the pool) it will be difficult to know exactly where you are at since your shock level is 16. The idea is to get your pool to a minimum of 16 and hold it there until you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. The overnight test will show if you are still fighting algae because chlorine is consumed by the sun and by organics in your pool. When you take the sun out of the equation, if chlorine is still being consumed overnight, it means you are still dealing with organics (algae) in the pool. If little or no chlorine is consumed over night, and your pool water is clear with no CC's, it generally means your shock process is complete. Without the correct test kit, there is no real way to do this accurately. Once your shock process is complete, maintaining a healthy and clear pool is quite easy.

We are all here to help... and most of us arrived here to seek help for our own pool issues. Please don't feel uncomfortable asking questions here, but understand that questions are answered based on specific data provided by the pool owner. When you are able to test your own water accurately and provide the data required, the faster the experts will be able to help you... and before long, you will probably be helping others. :) Hang in there... next year will be a good pool year for you.

linen said:
Taking control of your own pool water can be challenging at first...we have all been there when we were starting to take control...but you can do this :goodjob:

Let me point out a couple pool school articles to get you started:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

These will be good starting points, and are very light reading.

Read those then ask any questions you still have (and you will have them). :)

I have read these articles, thank you. While they are helpful, they don't explain everything (well at least not enough for me anyway.) All of this seems so overwhelming to me right now. After reading all of this, I feel I need to be a scientist or something! I do consider myself a very smart person and I catch on easily once explained thoroughly, so there is hope.

Anyway, with all chemistry aside, I was wondering if vacuuming dead algae through our filter is okay. Like I mentioned, we've vacuumed to waste the dead algae the majority of the time but we're starting to vacuum it through the filter because we're tired of wasting so much water. Is this okay to vacuum dead algae through the filter, or will it just come right back through?

dattia said:
I agree Pool School can seem overwhelming... once you put the techniques into practice, you will see just how straightforward and easy it is.
dattia has hit on a really good point, you have to take "the leap" and start, then it becomes much more real and intuitive...so much so that once you get it down, it seems so much easier to most pool owners then dealing with the stress of getting pool store results and recommendations (and spending a bunch of money). Most of BBBers spend very little time on our pool chemistry now, and still have crystal clear, algae free pools. Plus, as each question comes up, you have this great forum to ask on a moments notice.