Perma Salt back to Chlorine

ArkSwimmer

Sep 14, 2020
Arkansas
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. We've had an above ground pool in our backyard since 1996. This year, 2020, we moved from Chlorine to Perma Salt. It's been open since June and now it is September. I'll just say here I am not happy with Perma Salt and need to know exactly what to do to move back to chlorine. Some questions I have....do I need to remove all the water from this Perma Salt pool? Will I need new sand in filter next year? Can I just disconnect the copper chamber from electricity or does it need to be removed from plumbing altogether? I will be able to get the chemistry adjusted once I can get some expert advice on how to close my pool this year moving to chlorine next season.
I tried calling, visiting, emailing the Family Leisure (FL) office in Little Rock....I can't get answers.
One thing I did hear from FL was that if I used chlorine while using Perma Salt, my water would turn green.
Thanks to all .....

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You can switch back to chlorine at any time and follow our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page to get started. But as you may know, the PS system may have added copper to the water. That's the only "unknown" in your scenario. Too much copper means a potential for copper stains and/or color changes. So you might consider exchanging some water to be safe. Testing a copper level can be tough for us residential pool owners, and store testing isn't always accurate for copper tests either. So it's up to you. But welcome back to chlorine! :)

Reactions: ArkSwimmer
Welcome to TFP :)

The reason they say that is permasalt has been pumping copper into the water and when you go back to chlorine it will turn your hair green if you have blonde hair... If it has iron in it the water will turn a pretty green... I just went to the website and they talk a good game but it just does not work.... basically you were shocking the pool every 2 weeks and now your CYA may be through the roof and you have copper...

First you need a good test kit Test Kits Compared
To get rid of all the metals I would empty every bit of water after taking it to SLAM Level, to do that you will need a test kit to see what your CYA is... SLAM Process FC/CYA Levels

afterwards fill the pool, test, add CYA to 30 and add liquid chlorine :)
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels

I hope this helps, check out the site and ask some questions :)

Reactions: ArkSwimmer
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You can switch back to chlorine at any time and follow our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page to get started. But as you may know, the PS system may have added copper to the water. That's the only "unknown" in your scenario. Too much copper means a potential for copper stains and/or color changes. So you might consider exchanging some water to be safe. Testing a copper level can be tough for us residential pool owners, and store testing isn't always accurate for copper tests either. So it's up to you. But welcome back to chlorine! :)
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP :)

The reason they say that is permasalt has been pumping copper into the water and when you go back to chlorine it will turn your hair green if you have blonde hair... If it has iron in it the water will turn a pretty green... I just went to the website and they talk a good game but it just does not work.... basically you were shocking the pool every 2 weeks and now your CYA may be through the roof and you have copper...

First you need a good test kit Test Kits Compared
To get rid of all the metals I would empty every bit of water after taking it to SLAM Level, to do that you will need a test kit to see what your CYA is... SLAM Process FC/CYA Levels

afterwards fill the pool, test, add CYA to 30 and add liquid chlorine :)
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels

I hope this helps, check out the site and ask some questions :)
Thanks for your reply. I am confident now on what to do.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.