Pergola Install on Paver Deck

Nov 4, 2020
Texas
(sorry if this isnt the right subforum, mods please move if needed)
I recently bought pre-fab aluminum Pergola that I would like to install on my backyard deck. The deck consists of travertine pavers that are floating over a torpedo sand and crushed granite/ compacted base, with the joints filled with polymeric sand.

I know that anchoring the pavers alone will not be stable. So what is the best way to install this Pergola? Some solutions I'm considering:
  1. Remove pavers at the 4 corners. Pour a concrete base (how many inches deep?). Attach the Pergola posts to the concrete base. Cut the pavers to accommodate the post sticking through vertically. Pros: Pergola post is directly attached to the concrete base. Cons: It may be difficult for me to make fine cuts in travertine. Also, I would lose ~ 3 inches of height of the Pergola because the attachment is sunken in, below the travertine deck.
  2. Remove pavers at the 4 corners. Pour a concrete base (how many inches deep?). Place the pavers back ( Should I glue or mortar to the concrete base?). Attach the pergola posts through the pavers into the concrete base. Pros: Don't have to cut my pavers in a jigsaw puzzle to make them fit the Pergola Post. I would keep the original height of the Pergola. Cons: Will this be stable enough because I'm mounting on top of the Travertine paver?
  3. Is there another/better option?
Other info: Pre-fab Pergola weighs about 500lbs. We are located near a lake so we usually get a pretty good breeze at night (< 15mph). Hurricanes are common in my area.

TIA!

Attachments

• Render.jpg
    Render.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 61
  • Sorara Pergola.jpg
    Sorara Pergola.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Pergola location.jpg
    Pergola location.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 61
What type of anchor points are on the feet of the pergola?

Hey pool noob !! I like both options.

I see a con with the over paver method as the pergola will eventually rust and possibly stain the paver.

I see a con with both methods that every 2 or 3 seasons the design changes and the new one won’t fit the old pattern, or even be close enough to the old spots to work.

Anecdotal story: I cemented iron pipes in the ground to hold cantilever umbrellas (instead of the tippy bases) and when the first umbrella failed and I went to replace it, they all changed to rectangular tubing instead of circular. So I had to redneck engineer a fix for the broken umbrella that fit the pipe held in with many bags of cement.

• Lift up the pavers
  • Pour concrete footings for each leg
  • Imbed bolts that are at least 3" longer then normal in the footings
  • Drill holes in the pavers to slide over the bolts
  • Place legs on pavers and screw down.

Thanks for the replies so far!
@Newdude - hopefully the Pergola materials will last a while. We are way overbudget so I think we are going to have to learn to live with the design for a while, lol.
@ajw22 - would you recommend mortar or adhesive to join the paver to the concrete footings? Any specific brand?

hopefully the Pergola materials will last a while
Heck yeah !!! I hope it lasts you 20 years. But the reality is these things are chintzy sheet metal and you’re happy at 5-7 years. Just long enough to not be able to find a perfect replacement and have to redo it.

Not necessarily a problem, just thinkin ahead 😁

@ajw22 - would you recommend mortar or adhesive to join the paver to the concrete footings? Any specific brand?

I am not sure you need either. Just sandwich the paver between the foot and the concrete.

You may want the flexibility of pulling up the paver in the future if any of @Newdude predictions come true.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I would be concerned about cracking the paver if you bolt over the top of it. I would remove, pour footing below level of paver and use a leveling nut below pergola to set it's height. With any luck the pergola base will flange over the cut in paver needed to accept nuts.

Attachments

• Installation-02-300x204.png
    Installation-02-300x204.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.