Perflex EC65 DE Filter, NO Multi-port valve, Need to vac to backwash

May 29, 2007
Hudson Valley, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So.. a tangent to my earlier (still open) post about the filter bump shaft... I know I will have to vac thru backwash this weekend. Too much filth in bottom of pool. But everywhere in here I read that doing so can hurt the fingers of my DE filter (it is NOT a grid style) and I do NOT have a multiport valve installed.

I'm feeling on the verge of a panic attack but I need to stay calm and press on.... Anyone have some pointers for me? I can't buy new equipment this year - have two bad skimmers that are first in line.

I'm confident in BBB - I go back to the days of the PoolSolutions site - but I gotta get the crud out and I only have a few days. Between the frozen bump shaft and my fear of backwashing/damaging the filter, I am starting to feel like a trapped animal.

Thanks all.

Have always vacuumed to the filter, I don't think its common for bump back filters to have a backwash, we don't either. Worst case senario, you dont bump it back, vacuum till pressure goes high, change earth, vacuum more if needed and then change the earth again. The handles are removable and replaceable tho.

I know you said no new equipment but moving to a suction side cleaner and a canister to collect the debris has extended the life of each earth charge for me.

Do NOT ever vacuum through backwash ... regardless of the filter type.

A fairly simple upgrade would be to install a 3-way valve between the pump and the filter ... then you could vacuum directly to waste. If you do not do this, then you have to vacuum to your filter and bump/clean as required.

Also, you must use a leaf canister or have the skimmer basket in-line while you are vacuuming to avoid clogging things.

Jazon - I have a dedicated vac line in the wall, I have never vacuumed thru the skimmers - I should have mentioned that. Over the years we have vac'd to waste but this year after my hiatus from the pool is the first time I am seeing that doing so with my equipment set up is damaging. :-( So, I have a Leaf Devil that I will try to use with our hose. I do have a Polaris 140 suction-side unit that I got in 2012 that I have not yet used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.