Perfect score….but is it??

Htown Tiger

May 11, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Just got my first 100% score at Leslie’s on my chemical test (I have ordered the recommended test kit, but it’s not in yet).

Scores:

FC: 2.87
Total C: 2.87
pH: 7.7
TA: 83
CH: 246
CYA: 72
Iron: 0
Copper: 0
Phosphates: 22
TDs: 600

From reading on here, given my CYA is 72, shouldn’t my FC be much higher? Is 2.87 going to keep algae away?

H,

Welcome to TFP! Sorry, but we can't really say if those numbers are good since we find "free" pool store tests pretty unreliable. But let's say you got numbers like that from a recommended test kit. Your CYA is too high and FC not sufficient. But don't react to this yet. Your free results are so likely to be wrong you could just be wasting $. Just add 5 ppm FC using liquid chlorine per day 'till your kit arrives. And in the meantime read this ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask any questions you may have. Also, please let us know what you have been adding to the pool in the past.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Htown Tiger
FC should be 7.5% of CYA at minimum. I like to keep mine at 10% just to have a little safety margin. But I'd be hesitant to make any changes based upon a test from Leslie's. CYA is the test they most consistently get wrong, and often wildly so.

Use Pool Math to bring your FC to 4 PPM and maintain that until you get your own test kit. You should be safe at that level if your CYA is anywhere from 10 to 50.

Edit - what he said ^^^

Reactions: Htown Tiger
Based on what I've seen here, one of the most notorously unreliable pool store tests is CYA. Unfortunately, as you correctly identified, pretty much everything else hinges on that. Interested to see how that number compares to the real test when it arrives!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.