"Perfect" Numbers? Do they exist?

sixfive34

Silver Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
1- Thanks to everyone who makes this forum run and a reliable source of great information for pool owners!

2- I just completed my first SLAM and finally have a decent grasp of the numbers, related chemicals and the pool math site. Here's my dilemma/question: Are there target numbers to shoot for inside of the ranges? After the SLAM, I understand the relationship between CYA and FC needed...but is there a true target CYA I should shoot for? Mine has been dropping for a few weeks and I wonder should I push it back up or wait until it drops out of the recommended range? My numbers are all inside the recommended ranges and the water looks the best it ever has! The reason I ask is that, for example, I've seen CH is recommended at 250-350. If my CH is at 270 and trending down, should I start adding to get it to 300? I'd like to maintain the target numbers instead of having to remediate when they go outside of the recommended ranges.

I hope this makes sense. I've finally gotten control of my pool, thanks to this site, and want to keep it in great shape throughout the year.

I would suggest not focusing on 'Perfect'. The ranges are there so that if all your parameters are in those ranges, you should have no issues maintaining a TFP. Now some of us cannot stay in a certain range. For instance, my fill water is 250 CH and quickly climbs due to evaporation. I have a 650 CH right now. It just means I have to manage other parameters more closely to have no issues.

So keep CH and pH in their range. TA is less critical as long as pH is not rising very quickly or unstable.

I assume you are not using the Nature 2 device in your signature? If true - put 'removed minerals' after it so we do not ask you all the time.

Take care.

There is not really a set of perfect numbers. That is why we suggest ranges ... although some areas may want to be outside of those ranges and for some (like TA and CH) depending on your fill water you may never be able to achieve within the range and must compensate by adjusting others.

For your pool which is considered plaster you do need to watch the CH level, but really what you want to look at is the CSI calculation in PoolMath. That is an indicator for whether you will have issues with your pool surface. Play with the numbers to get a feel for what impacts the CSI and then just make sure you keep it in range. Hint ... everything impacts CSI except for chlorine ;)

Every pool is different, has its own personality. You have to take in to consideration your pool surface, your fill water quality, how you chlorinate, your climate even!

Using PoolMath you can see if you're "balanced" or not, along with suggestions on how to fix the problems. But the number do have a range so its pretty flexible too. One person may be keeping certain numbers on the low or high end to work on a problem, but you aren't as as don't have the same issues.

Its very unusual for CH to drop, as it usually is rising due to evaporation. I would wonder if this may be a testing error? Some folks find that when testing with a Speed Stir device they get a better result- and one reproducible and consistent. Have you been adding a lot of fresh water to the pool between tests? DUH! I just remembered we've had 2 weeks of rain here in Georgia....so you *have* added some fresh water, LOL! Same for the CYA I guess. Did you have to drop your level down at all??

Maddie :flower:

Thank you, all!
mknauss- as of this year, i'm abandoning the Nature2 and will update my signature. Thank you for the tip!
yipee- i've got a overflow drain so i never have to lower the water level if that's what you mean. To this point, I'm still feeling my way through and learning and the only levels I've consciously adjusted are the Chlorine, Ph, and TA. CYA and CH are very new to me and they've been in range so I haven't had to mess with them.
For the CYA- people keep mentioning that CYA rarely changes but I am reading threads where it's through the roof or zero (for swamps). I was staring a bit at my first few CYA tests but have a better feel now and feel pretty confident in the numbers, at least the consistency of how i'm getting them.
I haven't looked at CSI yet, so there's a new thing to study and I haven't tested my fill water so there is a variable I'll have to measure and consider because I have an auto-fill running. (My current CSI is -0.16 which says trouble for plaster. Now what?!?!)
FC- 6
CC- 0
PH- 7.5
TA- 80
CYA- 30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.