Pentair whisperflo WF-24 humming with no start - New Motor or whole new Pump?

JBerg

May 18, 2015
Madison NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
On pool opening in N.J. the main pump did not want to come to life. I get an electric humming noise followed by safety shutoff.
Impeller is clear, crank turns both ways with ease (did the YouTube stuff). Capacitor looks fine but ordered a replacement - that did not work - same issue.
I noticed two small dents on the body of the replacement capacitor (30 / 370). Ordering another capacitor before I go to step 2 (replacement motor or whole new Whisperflo).

If I proceed to step 2 Tuesday night - is there anything I can do to determine if I need simply a new replacement motor (AO Smith B2853) or a whole new Whisperflo?

Any and all ideas welcome as I am not thrilled about shelling out for a new pump.

Thanks in advance!F2A5FC74-4FDD-4F8E-9530-16EEDC5C04AD.jpeg6D6B2BC6-7849-438C-86CB-4111E61A23E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Usually it is the capacitor or frozen bearings. Another possibility is the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor if it has one. Sometimes the contacts get corroded and do not make contact to engage the capacitor so it behaves just like a bad capacitor.

If that's a picture of the "new" capacitor, I think that it might be used.

First of all, the date on the label is January 31, 2011, which makes it over 8 years old.

Second, as you can see in the picture of the pump, the capacitor cover has indentations which help hold the capacitor.

The dents in the new capacitor indicate that it was probably installed and used.

I suspect that a good new capacitor will work.

Usually it is the capacitor or frozen bearings. Another possibility is the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor if it has one. Sometimes the contacts get corroded and do not make contact to engage the capacitor so it behaves just like a bad capacitor.

Thank you! I will check the switch after I try the new capacitor- will report back

Reactions: JamesW

First of all, the date on the label is January 31, 2011, which makes it over 8 years old.

Second, as you can see in the picture of the pump, the capacitor cover has indentations which help hold the capacitor.

The dents in the new capacitor indicate that it was probably installed and used.

F peas

Good call James - fingers crossed for the (hopefully) new one tomorrow!

The new capacitor did not work - lame.
I opened up the back of the motor and the connections looked good. There was a good amount of debris and spider nests which I cleared out.

I was not really sure what to do with the centrifugal switch - I cleaned and tapped most areas with a screwdriver to clear things out and get things moving but still no luck.

I tried jumpstarting the motor again but that did not work (turn power on and manually turn the shaft).
I ordered a B2853 replacement motor and seal kit which will be delivered before the holiday weekend incase I can’t get this pump motor running.

Thanks for all the pointers and feedback!

Voltage was correct - thanks for the tip James.

I replaced the motor and seal and all is well!

Was very easy to replace and was a fraction of the price of a new pump and new plumbing.

Could not fix the old motor but may open it up for fun over the summer.

Thank you all for the tips.

Reactions: dabg and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.