Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump died. Looking for a replacement (dual or VS)

May 27, 2013
Philadelphia Suburbs
Pentair Whisperflo pump appears dead. It was over 10yrs old. Got pretty noisy last summer so not unexpected, but when I turned it on today it just hums. Tried manually turning the shaft....grinds a little but not seized. But the pump doesn't even try to turn. Looking for a dual speed or variable speed replacement.

Looking at dual speed or VS - seems like a $200 difference up front, but my electric company offers a $200 rebate

Specs on the dead Whisperflo are 3/4hp, 1.27 sf, 95 SFHP.
Pool is about 20,000 gal. Used May-September. Booster pump for the polaris. There is a waterfall feature that we use on occasion so a dual speed with switch should work when we manually turn on the waterfall.

Thinking about the Superflo pumps as they look like it'd be pretty easy to swap in.
SuperFlo 2 HP Dual Speed Pump w/ Switch - 340044
SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump 115/230V - 342001

Any issues with these? I'm looking to order ASAP.
Would you go with the VS or get the Dual? I've heard the controllers on the VS pumps sometime go bad.

Thanks!!!

Tim

Either of those should work. Have not had any reports of issues with either on the forum.
I assume you do not have an automation system.

I do not. All I've got is a couple of intermatic timers.

Question on the dual speed. I know with the waterfall I'd have to manually switch to high speed, but when I want to use the Polaris does the pump need to be on high speed or does the booster pump take care of that without needing to turn up the main pump?

With the variable speed I'm more concerned with the electronics failing down the road (more things to break). So if the Polaris doesn't need high speed on the main pump I may feel "safer" with the dual speed and only needing to manually change it for the waterfall. If I need to manually turn up the pump every day to run the Polaris that would push me to the VS pump.

You should be able to leave the main pump on low speed when the booster kicks on.

I have the SuperFlo VS and it has been working flawlessly since 12/18. I never run it at full power and operate at 2500 rpm for skimming. You will be amazed how quiet it runs. I also vary the run times throughout the season and appreciate the many options of a VS.

Now the question is....do I pay for "professional installation" or do it myself. It's a straightforward swap, so should be fairly simple. BUT. Pentair only gives a 2 yr warranty on documented registered professional installation. Otherwise it is 60 days. Alternatively, I can pay $58 for insurance through Walmart (where I ordered it) for 3yrs of coverage.

Personally I would DIY. Really easy especially if the plumbing matches up. As far as warranty goes most likely you will not need it. but for $58 it will bring peace of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.