Pentair VSF and Air Blower - Can I safely run just Air Blower without VSF?

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
As the title asks, can I just turn the air blower on without running the pump in spa mode. My kid likes to alternate between the splash pad/pool and spa. If I go to spa mode it closes off my pool and opens the mains on spa and water returns through the jets and single return. The jets are a combination of air and water. This however shuts my pool and splash pad bubblers off because it’s powered by the same VSF.

I can turn just the blower on and get the desired effect while not impacting the pool pump. Is there any risk of the blower running without water going through the same jets?

I’ll add this would only be running for a few minutes at a time. The kid has a shot attention span which is why switching all the automation for 1 minute in the spa, and then 1 in the pool is what I’m trying to avoid.

My PB said it’d be fine and it’ll auto shutoff if it overheats. I generally trust him but less so on maintenance and operation than general GC’ing.

It could possibly overheat without the venturis help if the air lines don't clear of water. If the blower overheats, it should shut off with the thermal limiter but excess heat over time could reduce the lifetime of the device. Try it once and if shuts down, then decide if you want to keep doing that.

But it isn't the same force on the body without water. Water has 800x the density and momentum than air. So it is really the water that makes a spa a spa.

You will probably be fine for short stints. As mas mentioned, overheating the blower is your biggest concern, which will only be a problem if the equipment is very far from the spa. Without the pump running, you may find that most or all of the air comes out of just one or two jets.

Thanks team! Yeah this is short use only and also the kid is just short of 5 years old. It has nothing to do with pressure, only the noises bubbles, etc.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.