Pentair VS Pump Died....Not Even 18 Months Old???

James quoted:

"Probably a transformer failure. The voltage sent to your house might have been way off. I would file a claim with the power company for the damages."

James, if the transformer failed, wouldn't the power come thru main line feeding the house, thus thru the SPD, which did not take a hit. One thing the OP did not state: are the electrical lines to the homes above ground or underfrd? If underground then the point of entry could have been anywhere, case solved. If OP has e-poles to the house, then we are back to sq-one.

James quoted:

"Probably a transformer failure. The voltage sent to your house might have been way off. I would file a claim with the power company for the damages."

James, if the transformer failed, wouldn't the power come thru main line feeding the house, thus thru the SPD, which did not take a hit. One thing the OP did not state: are the electrical lines to the homes above ground or underfrd? If underground then the point of entry could have been anywhere, case solved. If OP has e-poles to the house, then we are back to sq-one.

Overhead lines

It's probably worth a claim. Maybe they will pay and maybe they won't.

Let's see what the Pentair rep says.

I'm not sure what's considered a rep, it's a local pool company sending out a tech whom is contracted by Pentair for warranty service. I talked to them today, it sounded like they would bring parts with them.....fingers crossed. If they don't, I have to drain the spa and blow out all the lines before we get a cold front on Sunday...

I keep telling myself I could be in a hotel right now whimpering about all the things lost in the fire, so even though it might sound like I'm complaining my cup really is half full.

Rob,

I took a lightning hit and it took out the main board in my EasyTouch and my ScreenLogic Protocol adapter..

A Pentair warranty tech came out and just replaced it all.. Gave me the impression that as long as nothing is obviously and visually fried, they assume it is a warranty failure.

I would just let the tech do his job. I would not bring up the fact that you had any other issues, or that the electrical company was working down the street..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would just let the tech do his job. I would not bring up the fact that you had any other issues, or that the electrical company was working down the street..

I couldn’t agree more with you Jim.
You basically have a 50/50 chance that when the tech opens it up, that nothing looks like his PC board from his pellet stove.
Best case, free repair/replacement. Worst case, buying new parts/pump.

I won't be here to see what he finds. I'm hoping he's a decent human being and replaces the guts. We'll see. Thanks for your all's input.

Fwiw, the lady on the phone was very nice. She seemed like it wasn't a big deal and said he would bring parts on the truck....

Pool company came out today. Did not have a drive with them, he said he looked, not one at their shop:(

He popped the face off and checked to make sure there was 240V with the breaker on....silly as that was the first thing I checked, but I get it.

Good news is it sounds like they'll put a new drive under warranty. He said usually they replace the drive and the motor because there's no point in replacing one part if in fact the other is out as well. He said it might be a few weeks before the parts get in.

So I definitely have to drain all my lines, blow them out and winterize everything...but at least it's covered and I'm not having to do all that AND buy a new pump....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.