Pentair Ultratemp Rythmic Thumping Noise

L113

Apr 24, 2022
MA
Staring up my Pentair ULtratemp heat pump this year, it makes a rhythmic thumping noise, about once per second. Too slow to be the fan hitting something. Sometimes the thumping stops after running a few minutes, sometimes it doesn’t.

Does anyone have an idea on what causes this? Maybe a belt slipping but that’s just a guess.

In addition, the fan won’t shut off unless the breaker is shut off. I press the on/off button and the green light will go on and off but the unit keeps running regardless. Evryrging on the control panel seems to function normally except for this. An electrician is coming out in a few days to see if there is a bad connection or control panel issue. Any thoughts?

The unit was fine in the fall when I closed the pool.

Staring up my Pentair ULtratemp heat pump this year, it makes a rhythmic thumping noise, about once per second. Too slow to be the fan hitting something. Sometimes the thumping stops after running a few minutes, sometimes it doesn’t.

It is likely a pressure modulation valve in the refrigernt line that is noisy.

Maybe a belt slipping but that’s just a guess.

There are no belts in a heat pump. Nothing is belt driven. The fan and the compressor are the moving parts and they are both driven directly by electric motors.

In addition, the fan won’t shut off unless the breaker is shut off. I press the on/off button and the green light will go on and off but the unit keeps running regardless. Evryrging on the control panel seems to function normally except for this. An electrician is coming out in a few days to see if there is a bad connection or control panel issue. Any thoughts?

The fan is supposed to keep running for a period of time after you turn the HP off.

The unit was fine in the fall when I closed the pool.

Does the unit heat your pool/spa?

I think your unit is fine now.

You need an HVAC tech with the tools and EPA certification to check the refrigerant line and not an electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.