Pentair top canister stuck

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
How do I open this? I removed the locking ring but can't get the top canister to budge at all. I should add that this is a brand new unit only been installed for a week. I was just curious to look inside and see what it looks like for when I have to remove the cartridge and clean it one day. IMG_0058 (1).JPG

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Rich,

The lid should come right off after you remove the locking ring and open the air valve.

Did you try rocking it back and fourth?

I have used a wide common screw driver between the two halves on a couple of older DE filters, but I'm sure it is not recommend and not something I'd want to do on a new install.
There is a big O-Ring in there that could get damaged if you are not careful.

Thanks,

Jim R.

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Rich,

The lid should come right off after you remove the locking ring and open the air valve.

Did you try rocking it back and fourth?

I have used a wide common screw driver between the two halves on a couple of older DE filters, but I'm sure it is not recommend and not something I'd want to do on a new install.
There is a big O-Ring in there that could get damaged if you are not careful.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah I bled the air release valve also. I tried to just pull the top off straight up, I kind of rocked it back and forth but not that much. I'll have to try later. I tried a screw driver a little bit but got nervous I'd break the o-ring so I stopped. It didnt really even budge

Would it matter opening the drain plug?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Rich,

I just noticed that you have an AG pool.

Do you have a way to shut off the water going into your pump?

If so, I would remove the drain plug and try it.

I'm not up on AG pools, but I can imagine that if you remove the drain plug, gravity will cause the water in the pool to flow through your skimmer and out the drain hole in the filter.

I did notice that the manual says to stuff a rag in the skimmer line.. ???

Jim R.

smankins

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
Longview / Texas
I have a new Pentair CC200 and the top is very difficult to remove. I had to stick a screwdriver, or some flat bladed object, in the gap and wedge very gently to get it started. I removed the lid before I installed just to see what was in there and it was a chore. I removed it again after installation just so I could rotate the lid where I wanted and again had trouble getting it off. I have seen a video where Pentair suggested tapping the lid with a rubber dead blow hammer if needed to remove the lid but that didn't work for me and I didn't want to whack it too hard. Hopefully it becomes easier over time.

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
yeah I'm worried to stick a screw driver in there. Maybe I can use a rubber mallet. I haven't had a chance to use drain the filter yet. I plan on having my wife hold the bottom, while I hold the top.

smankins

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
Longview / Texas
If you do use a screwdriver or flat blade don't stick in the screwdriver perpendicular to the filter top. Try to get it in almost tangentially so that more blade is in a gap, if possible. Then just gently rock the screwdriver and move it to different locations.