Pentair system, can I go Raypak for heat?

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
Just want some general advice: I'm in the market for 400BTU gas heater. I have a barely a year old Pentair variable speed pump and IC60 cell.

Is there any reason I could go with say the Raypak 406A? I know NOTHING about Raypak but apparently they make very good heaters.

Any brand heater will work.

Do you have an automation system? Please add it to your signature if you do.

With no automation you turn on the heater when you want it. Any heater brand will work. The pump flow rate must be enough to satisfy the pressure switch.

You can adjust pump speeds, temperature, etc remotely. Makes more sense when you have a spa and other water features.

I would think it is overkill. Your pool season is short. It is nice to have, but if you have been operating without it and have no issues, I would not add the complication.

One question - how do you manage removing the power from your SWCG when your pump is NOT running? Is the SWCG on a timer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One question - how do you manage removing the power from your SWCG when your pump is NOT running? Is the SWCG on a timer?

Bingo.

I ideally would like to turn on the heater when needed and turn it off when well, it's not. I do realize there are systems that turn it on automaticlally when the water gets below a certain temp but that would not be cost effective if no one is actually in the pool (not sure how our resident dragonfly who protects our pool would take it either! note: there is always one).

Sorry but I am not following you. I asked about how you control power to your SWCG. That is a safety issue.
On the heater, if you wish to manage it remotely, then a full Pentair automation system may be needed. Some members have put together other forms of automation systems but I am not up on those tech processes.

Sorry but I am not following you. I asked about how you control power to your SWCG. That is a safety issue.
On the heater, if you wish to manage it remotely, then a full Pentair automation system may be needed. Some members have put together other forms of automation systems but I am not up on those tech processes.

Sorry, the "bingo" was for the timer on the SWG. The pump as you know has a separate timer so they are right now not linked. One advantage of say an EasyTouch (at least from my understanding) would be the elimination of the mechanical timer.

Switching back to the heater, I don't want to manage it remotely. I just want to be able to turn it on and off as needed. The question I have is can the heater be running all the time but only heating once water is being pushed through it by the pump and the water is below a programmable threshold (say 78F)? i.e. do I have to MANUALLY turn off the heater when the pump is shut off? That's my concern right now.

EDIT: Thanks Marty for the thread. I do really appreciate it.

Last edited:
An Easytouch would solve the issue with timing the SWCG with the pump. Sadly the time to have done that was when you got the IC60. The integrated package of an ET with IC60 makes for a very neat installation.

The heater has a pressure switch so if not enough water is flowing through it, it will not operate. So you can leave it set for 78F and if the pump is running at a sufficient flow rate, and the water temperature calls for heat, the heater will run. You do not need to manually turn the heater off at any time.

Actually, because of the heater install and an existing electrical issue (read: not enough circuits, the IC60/pump share a 20A circuit, don't ask) I am doing electric work as well. So if I want to install the ET I can. I just didn't think it was worth it (maybe it is?).

Ah, that is good to know. So I think the Raypak 406A maybe in my future then.

Random question: How would the ET work with the Raypak if at all?

The ET will work with any heater. You use the 'firemans switch' in the heater and a wire back to the ET. The ET has its own water temperature sensor and the ET will control the heater. You no longer mess with the heater controls (after setting them to max temp) to control the settings. You use the HEAT function in the ET.

Your pump should have come with a cable. The SWCG I think should have also or you may have to buy one. The heater does not need a cable, just a wire.

Actually, because of the heater install and an existing electrical issue (read: not enough circuits, the IC60/pump share a 20A circuit, don't ask) I am doing electric work as well. So if I want to install the ET I can. I just didn't think it was worth it (maybe it is?).

Ah, that is good to know. So I think the Raypak 406A maybe in my future then.

Random question: How would the ET work with the Raypak if at all?

FYI, the Raypak can be set to maintain a temperature, which is what we typically do on weekends when we expect a lot of guests. Set the temp and then walk away. It will turn itself off once temperature is reached or if the pump turns off (it has a pressure sensor to prevent it from activating without a steady flow of water).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.