Pentair SuperfloVS settings for newbie

Apr 6, 2021
Litchfield County, Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well, I've done it again. This is my first year opening our pool and I just discovered that I should not be running my pool pump at 3400 rpm 24/7 (since March). Thank you, TFP, for saving my poor pool. Will you help me make sure that I have the settings right for now? I will keep an eye on the pool and if it gets dirtier, I increase the time and/or speed, correct?

8:30-10:30 a.m. 2400 rpm
10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. 1700 rpm
12:30-2:30 p.m. 2000 rpm

I tried to set it at 1200 rpm for 12 hours (basically, our swim "day"), but it wouldn't go that low. So, I set it for 2400 for the hours it is freshly on and before we swim, 1700 for the early swim hours, 2000 for post-morning swim/pre-afternoon swim to clean it up a bit. Then, we usually swim in the afternoons, after which I add chems; I'll do a Quick Clean cycle for 1.5 hours at 2800 rpm at this time. Does this sound right? Do I need the "boost" in the morning after the pump has been off? Or could I set it for 1700 for 4 hours (8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)? Or less? And do the QC at night to add chems?

Is there anything else I should know?! I have read Pool School, but it is so much information that obviously I'm not getting it all! Thank you.

P,

Your pump will run as low as 450 RPM... You are doing something wrong. Do you have the manual?

I would not run less than 1,000 RPM, just to keep the skimmers running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

It is your pump and you can run it at whatever speed you want.. If you are happy with 1700, then I am good.

I just wanted you to know that your pump should run a lot lower than 1700 if that is what you wanted.

There is no real right answer for pump run times and speeds.. Whatever works best for you, is what you should run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I do have the manual, but when I tried to set the pump to 1200 rpm, it wouldn't go down that low. 1700 is quiet and perfectly fine for me for 4-6 hours a day. Would this be sufficient?

Thanks!
If it’s like my Intelliflo, there’s a min/max setting in the main settings menu. Check your manual for exactly where it is…
The different between 1200 and 1700 in terms of skimming is likely negligible, but it may be 25% less energy for the same results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.