Pentair SuperFlo VS - 342001, no keeping the clock

eduaqa

Feb 23, 2021
Orlando, FL
I saw in this forum a similar thread, but not sure if is referring to the same model
On the drive for Intelliflo clearly the time is keep for 96h by a capacitor like in the other post.
However for 342001 (SuperFlo VS), I have doubt
On the keypad/display part it has like a small battery (like those used by watches)
Does anyone already dig on this drive specifically, we know Pentair will say needs replace drive ... but come on, replace drive because maybe a battery ($2) fail?

Welcome to TFP.

We are trying to learn about the new Superflo VS pump. How did you find out it has a battery for the clock?

I don’t see any mention of a battery in the manual online. The replaceable parts diagram for the pump does not show a battery. And the manual says the clock will be retained up to 24 hours if power is lost. If the pump has a battery the clock retention should be more then 24 hours?

I'm not sure if is really a battery. Tomorrow I will open the display part again and take a picture. I removed the power today and will leave about 30 hours and check if it will lose just the clock or also the programing ... I will take a picture of what I'm suspecting to be a battery, and yes, I agree with you that don't make sense ... I'm just trying to find a way to save a lot a money because of, if not battery maybe a capacitor

Let me update the post.
I left the power off for 30 hours, it lost the clock as said before, it is losing the clock even if lost power for 1-2 minutes, but, I was interested on see if it would also lost the programming.
I didn't lose the programming so I'm assuming that it save the programming in a kind flash memory
Now about the clock as ajw22 said there is not battery, actually looking deeper what I was thinking that was a watch battery it's really a supercapacitor, to be more specific c26 on the cover board as we can see on the picture it is a ELNA 3.3V 0.33F, Part Number DSK-3R3H334U-HL
I just order it on digikey for $2 + shipping, which way less than a driver, and more interesting is that it's not in the drive core, but, is on the driver cover/display, so not so difficult to replace
I will replace as soon I get it and post the result
I'm attaching post here some pictures removing the display part and the board

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: mknauss
Thanks for the update. Let us know the results of replacing the capacitor.

Thanks for the post. I also have a relatively new superflow VST that was installed this past summer. I looked up the part you ordered and what I find very interesting is that the part has a listing has lifetime rating of 500 hours at 60 Celsius.

Here is the result, but first let me say that I agree with you, it’s a short lifetime at 60C, maybe is not a good project as there are many people claiming the same, I know intelliflo (3.2Hp) has much better capacitor, remember that this life time is at 60C, I know that each time you decrease a few degrees you double the lifetime (not sure the exact math)
Now the result that I got. I received the capacitors Sunday afternoon and soldered it, left the pump with power during the night, removed the power this morning and left without power for 11 hours, put the power back and the clock was there set correct as expected. I don’t know if will hold 24h as the manual says, but I’m satisfied in saving many dollars on a new driver.
As tip for who will try the same, remember that these small supercapacitors are very sensible to the soldering temperature, what I use to do is hold the legs of the capacitor with a tweeze while soldering which reduce a lot the heat received by the capacitor... see some pictures as example how I minimize the temperature during soldering

Attachments

• IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 42
Here is the result, but first let me say that I agree with you, it’s a short lifetime at 60C, maybe is not a good project as there are many people claiming the same, I know intelliflo (3.2Hp) has much better capacitor, remember that this life time is at 60C, I know that each time you decrease a few degrees you double the lifetime (not sure the exact math)
Now the result that I got. I received the capacitors Sunday afternoon and soldered it, left the pump with power during the night, removed the power this morning and left without power for 11 hours, put the power back and the clock was there set correct as expected. I don’t know if will hold 24h as the manual says, but I’m satisfied in saving many dollars on a new driver.
As tip for who will try the same, remember that these small supercapacitors are very sensible to the soldering temperature, what I use to do is hold the legs of the capacitor with a tweeze while soldering which reduce a lot the heat received by the capacitor... see some pictures as example how I minimize the temperature during soldering
Thank you to Eduaqa for his complete suggestion on changing the clock capacitor and resolving the problem. Your detailed explanation worked perfectly in solving the issue of the clock going dead when the power is off. An easy fix. You even provided directions on what part, where to get it, and links to have it shipped here quickly. THANK YOU for finally being the one who found the solution and passing it along. Rs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.