Mar 29, 2019
Modesto
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey, all.
Just bought a new house, first time Pool owner. 33,000 gallons, pebbletec, don’t know much about the pump (I have a secondary pump for my Polaris 380 as well as the primary). Put in a brand new Pentair 520 plus cartilage filter. Water looks clear, my Taylor k-2006 results from two days ago are attached (love pool math).

My question is this: I have a Pentair Rainbow 320 in line chlorinator. I read conflicting instructions from the mfgr: “Treats 6,500 to 27,000 gallons bottom feed and 18,000 to 70,000 gallons top feed”. I set mine up top feed after reading this, but then read: “the #320 has been fitted with an optional opening at the top of the feeder (which is plugged). To accommodate attachment of the valve and tubing assembly for top entry of water into the feeder, an additional length of tubing has been included. The following procedure should only be used if the suggested change has not solved the situation. Top entry in normal situations can cause over chlorination.”

Advice? Anyone have one of these? I don’t want to over-chlorinate, but I think that 33,000 gallons mandates top feed set up. Am I wrong?

Thanks for reading. Happy to be here learning.

Zach

Attachments

• FB5B80DA-55BF-444D-8410-B1C68E9DC8BC.png
    FB5B80DA-55BF-444D-8410-B1C68E9DC8BC.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 9
By the way. Chlorine levels are slightly high because I added 2 gallons liquid chlorine the day before test. It should drop this weekend as the weather is supposed to heat up in Modesto, CA

Welcome to the forum!
I have no guidance on the chlorinator. Most of us on the forum do not use them. The use of trichlor is not sustainable for daily maintenance. Be sure to read through Pool School and see the issues with long term use of trichlor.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

The following procedure should only be used if the suggested change has not solved the situation.

What's the context for this line?

The suggested change to increase chlorine concentration before moving the hose to the top is to use 1 inch tablets instead of 3 inch....if that still is not enough the hose can be moved to the top to increase concentration to a greater degree.

I would just use the standard top feed without the hose then. Not many people here tabs so there's not many with experience in it. If you want to make sure it's working you can use the oto test on the return jet and should be heavy with fc

I (Dallas, TX) have a 15K gallon pool and use the bottom feed from the 320 (w/3" tabs). My setting varies from 1.5 to 4.5 depending on temp, water temp, water test, etc... Considering the size of your pool, I would expect you can find settings using the top feed which will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.