Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Would the 60 be appropriate for my pool @ 24,500 gal? Old DE filter was probably 36 sq in & seemed fine. Plan to use Intelliflow VS pump. Know bigger is usually better, but only concern is ability to lift dirty cartridge to remove for cleaning.

DE60 should be fine with an Intelliflo VS pump. The four cartridges don't look that big to me...

I think @JoyfulNoise has the Quad DE filter.

I have a QUAD-100. Bigger is better. Fully loaded and dirty the cartridges maybe weigh 10lbs at most. They individually lift off the bottom manifold so you can clean them one at a time. It’s a very easy system to clean, much better than the spiral grid DE systems.

10 lbs doesn't sound too bad. Have any idea how tall the cartridges are and the height of the top of the tank bottom is? Have some arm/shoulder limitations on lifting. A 100 would sure be nice for cleaning my swamp now and having longer periods between cleanings later.

So the way to avoid lifting wet DE is this - you drain the filter, open it, and then hose off the cartridges with the drain open and while everything is still in place. You wash as much DE off as you can with the cartridges sitting there and then lift them out. That makes then much lighter.

I don’t have the exact height spec but I’d say they roughly 36” to 40” tall.

I don’t have the exact height spec but I’d say they roughly 36” to 40” tall.
And a guess of how high the lift would be to clear the tank bottom? That's my weak point. Old grids were only 18" - but they were a pain to get back into position; this cartridge style seems so much easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That link shows the parts breakdown diagram. If you click on any part in the list you can find rough dimensions in the description.

The Quad-100 cartridges are 32-3/4” tall and 6-1/4” in diameter. By comparison, the Quad-60 cartridges are only 20-3/4” tall.

One of the benefits of having an oversized filter on my pool is that I don’t backwash it at all. All I have to do is clean it out once per year and I’m good to go. Backwashing is messy and it puts a lot of wear & tear on the cartridges. My cartridges are going on 7 years of continuous use. Pentair suggests changing them every 3 years. So I’ve managed to get 2X the life out of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: balb3r
Well, duh, didn't even think about looking for a parts list. Thanks (y) Guess I should also think about our ability to lift the dang cover off.

We'll be more likely to backwash since we've been doing it for decades (literally) with the old filter. Already have a buried waste line for the process. In the 40 years that we've had the filter (less the last 4 years when the pool's been inactive), only needed to replace the grids once. Probably won't get that life out of the new 'cause nothin' seems to last like it used to ... including my stamina. :LOL:

I have a DE80. You're right, breaking the seal on the cover and lifting it up and over the cartridges will be more challenging than removing the cartridges alone. As Matt said, if you rinse the carts before removal, they're very light.

I have had a Quad 60 DE filter since 2014 and love it. I use a Robot (Triton Plus) and hair nets in each of my two skimmers. As a result, I only need to clean my filter once a year, if that. The robot does not send any debris to the filter, and the hair nets filter out any fine stuff that would normally go through the holes in the skimmer baskets and filter basket and end up in the filter.

I backwash the filter before taking it apart which gets rid of a lot of the DE. The filter elements are easy to lift out and rinse off. The whole job only takes me about an hour which is not bad for just once a year.

As a side note, I have always used Aqua Pearl DE alternative media and have had good luck with it. It is non toxic, easy to wash off and keeps my pool super clear and sparkling.

Gary

Quad 100 DE on a 28K pool, 13 years on original carts. No backwash capability, tear down and clean 2-3/yr. Bigger is better. 25 gpm @ 1-2 PSI post cleaning. I'm sure one of the cartridges will suffer a tear but still waiting. Was told by Pentair rep that Unicel provided the carts to Pentair back when it was made. Don't know if that's still the case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.