Pentair QUAD DE drain

kcdeucer

Jan 28, 2020
Melbourne/FL
Hello all,
New member but I've had a pool most of my life. My old Hayward DE4800 Filter is at it's end of life (25 years) and I'm looking to change it out for a Quad 60. I'm going to forgo the backwash valve, but draining the tub to clean the carts seems like a bath waiting to happen (and a mess on the pad), not to mention the yoga-like stance I'd have to perform to get to it.
Have you guys been able to "plumb" in some type of drain? I'm thinking a fitting with an elbow instead of the cap, and perhaps a 1/4 turn valve than I can open to discharge. Thoughts?

Yes, I did just that on my Quad100. The plug is 1.5" pipe thread so I screwed a sch 80 nipple into the filter, connected a 90 and put a valve that connected to a drain.

I could drain the filter and open it up without spilling a drop of water.

Yes, I did just that on my Quad100. The plug is 1.5" pipe thread so I screwed a sch 80 nipple into the filter, connected a 90 and put a valve that connected to a drain.

I could drain the filter and open it up without spilling a drop of water.

Like a bachelor party recap - PICTURES or it didn't happen!!!

• Love
Reactions: bdavis466
Ok, here’s a follow up question: can I also use the newly plumbed drain to remove excess pool water? I assume by doing this I’d lose some amount of DE? The existing outlet piping is tight to fit in a 3-way valve for this purpose. Thx again!

I don’t line the QUAD design on the drain plug. It faces down which makes it annoying to get at. They should redesign it to be off to a side.

If I ever ditch my QUAD I’ll do what you did there. But my next filter will be C&C, not DE. I’m done with DE.

The quads are really good filters though. I wish I had a picture of the drain, it worked really well.

On the last quad I installed I heat bent the PVC pipe inside the base and ran it out the side of the tank similar to how the Hayward is in that picture. It looked and worked awesome.... no pictures of course :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are good filters and I’m glad my PB pushed it over a sand filter. He was not a big fan of cartridge filters but I suspect that was because he was a little old-school and liked having filters that could be backwashed. He also liked to use cal-hypo to chlorinate .... in an arid desert climate with super-hard water ?‍♂️ ...

I’m just done with messing around with DE and, since I never backwash and only open my filter once a year to clean it, it’s not worth the additional hassle. There’s no practical difference between how I operate my DE filter now from what I’d do if I had a cart filter.

Since the filter bodies are the same on a Quad and a Clean & Clear, doing your plumbing trick on the drain would make good sense.

Reactions: bdavis466
Note that you can't use a male threaded adapter due to the clearance. You have to use a threaded nipple that you can use a slip x slip 90.

Also, be sure to support the line. If someone steps on it, you don't want it to crack the fitting or tank.

James,

If your goal was to confuse me, you did a great job... :mrgreen:

If the OP is like me, I have no clue what you are talking about.

I was taught that a nipple did not have any smooth pipe. :scratch:

Pretend I am an idiot and explain it to me again.. (I realize that you don't have to pretend much..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Get a 3 inch nipple which will have an inch and a half of smooth pipe in between the threads. Screw the nipple in and cut so that an inch and a quarter is exposed and slip the 90 on.

Nipples come in various lengths. A "Close" nipple does not have any smooth pipe.

Longer nipples do have smooth pipe between the threads.

A 6" nipple can be cut in half and then you have 2 equal parts.

James,

If your goal was to confuse me, you did a great job... :mrgreen:

If the OP is like me, I have no clue what you are talking about.

I was taught that a nipple did not have any smooth pipe. :scratch:

Pretend I am an idiot and explain it to me again.. (I realize that you don't have to pretend much..)

Thanks,

Jim R.
I believe a nipple can be any length up to 12"

You should take a gander at my nipples?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.