Pentair Prowler 820 - Not finishing cycle, seems to only be able to move forward.

sadohert

Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm wondering if anyone has any debugging advice here. I have the Pentair Prowler 820 (from what I read "Dolphin Nautilus (2016 and Prior) = Pentair Prowler 820 = Dolphin Quest = Dolphin Thunder 10" ).

It has run well for about 5.5 seasons. Up until this past weekend it was fine.

Now it seems to have lost its mind.

We can start it up, and it seems to get going, but if you walk away it'll be stuck somewhere in the pool without having done any of the cleaning it normally would.

If you watch it for a while, it seems to start and stop, going up the walls seems causing it to pause and float down to the bottom (at heights it previously never had an issue with).

I don't THINK I ever see it running both directions anymore. I can definitely tell its running "forward", but I don't think I ever see it move the opposite direction. At moments where I might expect it to go backwards, it just seems to be stuck (tracks don't move). You can see the propeller is push water out of the top, but no movement. Specifically, in a case where it might go up a wall to the top, pause, and possible start going back down, it doesn't go down. Eventually it stops sucking, and drifts back to the bottom.

After watching this youtube video from Inyo Pools
I was going to check continuity, but the behaviour just doesn't seem consistent with that.

Any ideas for things to test? If there was something stuck in it, I would think it wouldn't be able to go either direction.

I had a simpler pool rover jr that would only go one direction, hit the wall, and then get stuck. It had flaps that opened or closed depending on which direction the robot was supposed to go. One of the flaps had a twig holding it open so it couldn't shut off. Once I removed the twig the robot could move freely again. I would carefully inspect for debris where there shouldn't be any. I would also check continuity.

Reactions: sadohert
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.