Pentair Multiport Valve Leaking

Striff23

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Morganville, NJ
I started the pool after opening and noticed water coming from the waste line. I figured it was the spider gasket, so I replaced it. The water slowed down significantly, but there is still a slow drizzle of water from the waste line. So I'm trying to change the spring, but Pentair and my local pool store are telling me that the spring is not a part that can be changed, I must change the entire top handle key assembly. The assembly sells for $ 130.
So a little help, please...
1. Does it sound like the spring is the issue? If not, what else should I check?
2. Valve is Pentair 50181212. I found the spring on Amazon, anyone know why Pentair would be telling me that I should change the whole assembly instead of just the spring?
3. I'm getting a small air leak, can see bubbles in the return. Does it make sense that the leak in the valve could cause air to enter the system?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 20
Pentair only recommends changing the entire top assembly, but that doesn't mean that you can't change it. Since you've changed the spider gasket, I'd try changing the spring. Also while you're in there, make sure the spider gasket is still seated correctly and add some pool lube to everything including the new spring.

The valve leak isn't likely the cause of the bubbles. Those are coming from the suction side of the pump, unless they only happen for a little while right after you start the pump back up after being shut down. If they are happineing as long as the pump is on, then you have a suction side leak somewhere.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the spring a shot.
For the air bubbles, does that mean the leak has to be only in the area from where my main drain & skimmer pipes come out of the ground to the pump inlet? That's the total of the suction side, correct? Nothing in that area has changed since last year, when there was no bubbles in the return.

The most common place for a suction side leak is the pump basket lid o-ring. Especially if nothing has been changed plumbing wise. Get some pool lube and clean and lube it really well and hopefully that'll fix the bubbling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.