Pentair Mastertemp 250 -Heat Exchanger Corroded after 7 MI seasons -Advice on Options

mchartra

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Canton MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey gang. Well, it appears that my heat exchanger has a hole in it likely due to corrosion and I'm guessing since it's a MasterTemp 250 with copper exchanger and with an Intellichlor IC40 SWG -likely the years of running salt water through it have killed it...

On start-up this year, I noticed an odd gurgling sound and a service heater light on. The burner would not light. Upon investigation, I found the combustion chamber filled with water completely covering the coils. I could feel the water by putting my hand in the exhaust pipe. My first clue was water coming out of the air intake. Argh...

Assuming MI summer: Open late April to early May-Close end of Oct/early Nov, did this heat exchanger fail prematurely? First season was April 2015 so that's 7 seasons (6mths x 7 = 42 months). Should I have expected a longer life?

Need advice:

-Relatively handy so I don't have an issue with replacing the coils myself. I am thinking cupro-nickel instead though that pushes the price up from $800 (474059) to $1,200 (474063) for my model. Of course -assuming I can find one in stock...
Is it worth an additional $400 to go cupro-nickel if I have a SWG?

New Pool Heater.
Mastertemp 250 ~$2,500
Mastertemp 250HD ~$2650 Cupro-nickel
-only $150 difference- why buy the std one?

Does anyone know if there is a EC (ecommerce) sku for the HD model? I could not find one. If I swap out myself or buy online, it seems Pentair only offers a 60-day warranty..

I assume that with my Pentair automation panel (Screenlogic -easytouch), I have no choice but to stick with a Pentair or a Stay-Rite heater? Seems Hayward's models all come with Cupro-Nickel heat exchanges standard. Are they better built?

I am leaning towards a cupro-nickel option since I don't want to contend with this issue again - assuming that copper is a poor choice for a salt water pool.

If this is the case, it doesn't seem prudent to spend $1,200 on the heat exchanger when I can get a new heater for $2,600 with warranty and at least the rest of the system is new as well. I could always part out the old heater -the parts as far as I know are all still good (main board, manifold, power supply board, etc..)

One other thing that I was contemplating. Would I be better off with an automated valve that only sends water to the pool heater when it's on? I've seen some other manufacturers with an option to divert the water at the manifold so that water doesn't run through the coil unless it's calling for heat. Good or bad idea? Any thoughts?

Well I replaced mine in my MasterTemp 300 after 7 seasons as well AND i'm in Canton, MI as well! Here is my post --> Mastertemp 300 - SOLVED! - Cycling -
Just like you in seemed intimidating but not so bad at all. Lots of YouTube videos etc...
However this season my 300 had burn marks and melted wires all over the place ..transformer, control board etc... So I am actually replacing it with a new one. I could replace all the wiring but figured at the 10 year mark its probably time and I'll have spare parts. Replacing is "easy". FYI a great video on youtube on how to do it -->

As an update to my situation - and thanks bongardjm for the post -nice to meet you neighbor ;) We need to hook up for a beer 🍻sometime.

-Placed multiple requests locally for a quote on a new heater -most never even responded back and those that did either had no stock or told me 1 to 0 in stock in distribution.

One of my old hockey connections works at Pool Town and he was quick to respond -1 in disti but prob gone by the time I'd place the order but they don't install -referred me to a gas fitter who does installs -turns out it was the guy who originally installed my heater -great work -contacted him a few months ago for a gas dryer hook up and we played tag for 3 weeks since he was so busy -I ended up using someone else.

-I could swap it myself but if I don't get the unit installed by a contractor, 60 days parts only warranty for a $2,800 heater - hmm... No go here. Pentair has e-commerce SKUs that do offer a short P&L warranty but they don't offer the cupro-nickel HD model. To spend the money on new -I'd want that option.

-Ordered by-pass valves so I minimize the water running through new exchanger. Thought I found an in-stock std exchanger for $740- but the supplier emailed me back and the unit they had was damaged so they ordered more but no ETA on their shipment and no stock in distribution...

-Found the cupro-nickel model at another supplier and just placed the order. Fingers crossed it's real inventory and shows up (ETA -next week).

So here is my big question: Is there a model number on my existing assembly stamped on it somewhere? I could not find one. Obviously there would be no tag on an item that gets heated up.

Reason I ask is that I think my original pool builder may have pulled a fast one on this heater. It's listed as an ASME model and the SN shows it to be ASME as well - HOWEVER - the manifold on my heater is black composite material and so it doesn't match the metal manifold that comes with the ASME model.

In talking with Pentair, they confirmed my SN as ASME and the manufacturing date, but I am thinking the PB either had a damaged ASME model to which they swapped the manifold - or my unit had the external panels swapped w an ASME model. In either case - I was puzzled as to why this one came off their truck completely unpackaged. FYI: My initial heater that they delivered was a 200K model that came in the box. We upsized the pool after the deal was done and had requested a bump up to the 250K to handle the extra gallons. PB agreed.

In talking w Pentair, outside of the exchanger and the manifold, all other parts are shared between the std and ASME models. The one Q I did not ask them was what the difference was on the exchanger and whether my unit -since I already have the std manifold - could use the std or HD exchanger instead of the ASME. I could not find the ASME exchanger in stock anywhere and it's over 2x the price anyways..

I guess I will find out once I attempt the exchanger swap though since I have the non-ASME manifold, I am 95% confident I should not have any issue. I am pretty convinced the PB did a switcharoo on me with the exterior panels - maybe to get a fresh SN to register for warranty? To be honest - it did appear to be a new heater so I didn't question it at the swap.

FYI: I ordered Pentair 250HD manifold kit #474063.

Thank JamesQ - Yep -I am aware of all of these but I was asking specifically about the heat exchanger. Most of the parts have their own tag but the heat exchanger - I would assume -IF if had a part number it would be stamped in due to the heat of the exchanger.

Poolbreh: Thanks for the hint - I'm going to look at my pressure switch. That might yield a clue..

Attached is the SN tag for my heater showing it to be an ASME model but as you can see from the composite- black manifold - I have my doubts that if mine is an ASME, it shipped with that manifold. More than likely the PB sent me who knows what it is in terms of a heater model switching out the exterior panels maybe for warranty/serial number purposes.. Something doesn't match up...

Thanks you guys.

Attachments

• Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Tag.jpg
    Tag.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 5
Pentair, outside of the exchanger and the manifold, all other parts are shared between the std and ASME models
Just in case someone came across this thread I just wanted to clarify the pressure switches are different. If they decided to swap. Your manifold is definitely standard.
The manual should specify what parts are specific to asme and I’m only seeing exchanger and header. Than again the pressure switch isn’t specified in manual either. But it’s definitely a larger diameter and specific for the bronze header and criminally overpriced.
643F4044-ABF8-4718-B901-879939EFC0A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mchartra
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.