Pentair Legend Pressure Side Cleaner issue

Aug 14, 2018
Birmingham, AL
We have a Pentair Legend pressure side cleaner in our pool and have noticed some operational issues lately. For one, it always seems to get stuck in the deep end at some point during the day. Recently, it will stop moving all together anywhere in the pool and when I begin to pull the hose in, the pressure relief valve in the wall of the pool appears to be blowing out more water than usual and the backup valve in the hose is blowing out A LOT of water at a higher pressure than normal. When I pull the cleaner out of the water (with the pump off), I don't find anything glaringly wrong....but I also don't know what to look for either. I am VERY GREEN with this pool stuff and any info or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

First you can try replacing the backup valve. I am not sure that is your problem but worth a try.

Otherwise, it most likely needs a rebuild. You can find rebuild kits that replace the key moving parts - bearings, wheels, etc. What happens is the bearings get a bit corroded in the water and build up friction. This is enough for the water pressure to not move the cleaner the way it should. When you disassemble it and spin the old bearings versus the new bearings you will feel the difference. You may find other issues when you disassemble it.

All the parts are available. There are different Legend models -3, 4, Platinum - and you can find the parts diagrams on the net.

We have a Pentair Legend pressure side cleaner in our pool and have noticed some operational issues lately. For one, it always seems to get stuck in the deep end at some point during the day. Recently, it will stop moving all together anywhere in the pool and when I begin to pull the hose in, the pressure relief valve in the wall of the pool appears to be blowing out more water than usual and the backup valve in the hose is blowing out A LOT of water at a higher pressure than normal. When I pull the cleaner out of the water (with the pump off), I don't find anything glaringly wrong....but I also don't know what to look for either. I am VERY GREEN with this pool stuff and any info or recommendations is greatly appreciated!
Sounds like it's clogged to me. Is there a screen in the wall mount?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.