Pentair Intellitouch firmware via screenlogic?

Killer Squirrel

Aug 16, 2020
TX
I have the Intellitouch panel, in the settings it shows Easytouch 8 v2.160, bootloader v1.010. I've tried doing research but I'm mostly finding older posts and info and not sure if anything has evolved over the past decade. Is the only way to update the firmware still to have a tech do it or build my own device? Or will installing a Screenlogic kit give me the ability to upgrade via network/internet? I'd like to go that route anyway to add pc/phone control of my pool, but was curious if installing it would help with firmware as well. I'm assuming the one kit is all I'd need to add wired/wireless access and control to the pool automation? Thanks!

Killer,

ScreenLogic has nothing to do with F/W updates.. It still has to be done by someone with the proper tools..

Let's see what Tom has to say about it... Calling @ogdento

Curious what you think is going to work better with newer F/W???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the response, I've seen reference to being able to update via the screenlogic and wasn't sure if there was any truth to it or not. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do firmware updates, I find it rather odd that they don't allow direct updates now that everything can be interconnected (coming from a pc and server background, it's usually best practice to stay on the latest firmware).

Hey KS,
Sounds like you've got an Easytouch indoor controller - not an intellitouch (that's a different system).

But Jim's right... you can only update these with a programmer made for the motorola (nxp) 9s12 chips. PE Micro makes the one that Pentair uses, and they make the programming software too. It's true that these boards are based on a 30+ year old controller - rather than a new fancy ota or usb updateable gizmo - but they do the job and don't break that often.

JerryT started the following thread here on DIY firmware updating for these units. You'd want to update both the indoor and outdoor at the same time... not one or the other...

Tom

I think maybe what you're seeing regarding the F/W updates is just the ScreenLogic system. ScreenLogic is software: for computer and phone, plus a little hardware box that connects your ET to the internet (called the Protocol Adapter). You can hardwire it to the ET, or use an add-on wireless gizmo, but the little interface box is used either way. It has a connector for the ET and an ethernet jack that you plug into your router or switch. That's how ScreenLogic communicates with your ET and your devices. Anywho, that little box is updatable via software, which you can do yourself, assuming what you buy needs the update (probably won't, since they haven't updated the FW in the thing in forever). Point was... that's what you've probably been reading about, not the ET F/W update.

Reactions: ogdento
Thanks for the responses guys! What I got back in 2018 was the EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Control System #520545. No indoor controls at all. I've set it all up myself and it's been doing great since. I recently (last week) bought a new VSF pump and I was just trying to make sure I wouldn't have issues on my current fw. Also, I'd love to add the ability to control everything wireless (via phone), and have been starting research into what exactly I need. I think I'll be able to run cat5e from my switch inside my network closet out to the pool pad and to this control box. I'd rather hardwire it to the network rather than rely on a wireless connection back to the inside network. Then use my existing wifi network to communicate between my wireless devices and the pool control box. What's my best route for achieving that, i.e. which product(s) would be ideal? Thanks!

Killer,

That is not how it works.. ScreenLogic does not use WiFi.. You can run a 4 wire cable, but I would think that cat 5 wires would be too small...

I used to have mine wired direct.. Then.. my neighbor took a lightning hit.. I got what was left over.. Came in on the hard-wire line between my EasyTouch and the inside protocol adapter blew up several things including the protocol adapter, switch, modem and a digital TV recorder.. I now use the wireless system.. It has worked great for the past three or four years without any issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are two connections for ScreenLogic's Protocol Adapter (PA). An ethernet cable (goes to router or switch) and four wires that connect to the ET. Pentair's wireless solution replaces some length of the four wires, not the ethernet. It's two units: one near the PA, the other near the ET. Both those units connect using the four wires. The wireless is not WiFi, it is proprietary. Jim points out that the wireless setup can act as lightning protection, which is a great point.

I hardwired. Instead of running ethernet close to my ET, I chose to put PA in my office, right next to my ethernet switch. So the longer run is the four wires. I did it that way because I also have the ET's indoor control panel gizmo, which also connects to the ET via the four wires. In my case (because of the geography of the various components) I ran four wires between the wall unit (near my HVAC thermostat) to the PA in my office, then four wires to the ET. In my PA, there are pairs of wires in the terminals: two reds, two blacks, etc. The Pentair gear talks to each other through this four-wire interface, and it doesn't seem to matter where the sets of wires are spliced together. It's the same four wires that talk to your pump, etc.

So you can just put all these components where it's most convenient to make your cable runs. I just didn't want the Protocol Adapter out near the ET. Made more sense to have it in my office. Of course, when I get hit with a bolt, and it takes out my entire office, I may or many not choose to admit that to Jim!! ;)

It all makes sense now, I got the SL kit and have it set up wireless to inside. So far it's working great, I was worried about the distance but it seems perfectly fine. Now to dig into the firmware update procedure and get this thing on the latest update so I can utilize all the stuff for my IntelliFlo. Thank you for all the info and answers, much appreciated.

Reactions: Dirk and Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What feature(s) are you looking for with an update?

2.180 is the only update you don't have (you're on 2.160 and Pentair skipped 2.170). Here are the 2.180 release notes:

Version 2.180 4/01/19
Support Hybrid Heater
Fixed several issues with the VSF pump
Fixed a number of minor issues
Fix long standing bug with Pool-Spa-Cleaner interlock

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.