Pentair Intellipro VSF (013004) impeller cracked

guru_florida

Mar 21, 2021
St Petersburg, Florida
Well not really cracked but came apart. Looks like it's made from two pieces glued together with some nibs for alignment. My pump was making noise at high RPMs over 2800. Sounded like a small rock was in the impeller so removed the seal strap and diffuser and noticed the impeller split in two. It was still holding on one side. Seems like a pretty weak design to be held by glue. Otherwise it feels like this is nylon, which is fine. Part# is C105-238PLA...I hope PLA is just coincidental and its not actually made of PLA - that would suck. I can probably just glue it back together. Any suggestions on a glue that works with nylon. Pump is only 2yo, anyone aware of this issue?
IMG_5178.jpg
IMG_5182.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

I think that is the first time we have seen that. I would make a warranty claim into Pentair. It looks like a manufacturing defect. Depending how you got the pump it may be under warranty. Or they may cover it anyway. Worth a try.

@JamesW @Jimrahbe

Yes, sorry, I constantly get the Intellipro and Intelliflo mixed up. These models were obviously named by Darryll and his other brother Darryll (old Newhart joke).

You're right in that it was rubbing against the diffuser. There is a shallow black scoreline on the diffuser but I don't feel it was originally rubbing against it. My guess once it came loose the centrifugal force caused it to rub against it but I cant say for sure.

The pump was installed by a licensed pro and he's very good. I am no dummy myself. I have sent a msg to him to enquire about the warranty before I attempt to glue it. I have some JB Plastic Weld that is supposed to be the best for nylon....I am open to any other ideas.

The motor was secure. There was no unbalanced vibration present and the pump seemed to be working normally and efficiently as far as I could tell. I was running around 2000-2200 RPM normally and it was turning over plenty of water. Only during high RPM like on startup did I hear what sounded like a little stone. When I opened the impeller assembly nothing came out though. Entire motor assembly was secure during dissassembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.