Pentair IntelliPh repair tip

aholmes5

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2011
Houston, TX
For those that have an intelliPh acid dispenser, you will eventually have a pump tube rupture. There is a good possibility that you won't notice this until your pH has climbed significantly. Unfortunately, when the pump tube (Pentair 522480) breaks, muratic acid will tend to get everywhere inside the pump head. The acid will corrode anything metal in this area including the steel pins that hold the 3 pump rollers in place and possibly the motor drive shaft. When the steel pins corrode, they won't hold the rollers in place to squeeze the pump tube thereby preventing peristaltic action. Pentair's solution is to replace the Pump Repair Kit (522386) which is around $90 and includes a new pump tube, roller assembly and pump cover.

I have a cheaper solution which is working so far. Remove the roller assembly from the motor drive shaft - I pried this off with a flat head screwdriver and a stiff putty knife. Clean any corrosion off the motor drive shaft with fine grit sandpaper. There probably won't be too much as it is mostly shielded from leaking acid by the roller assembly. I put silicone lubricant on this shaft to hopefully protect it from future acid exposure. Remove the 3 corroded roller pins and replace them with an acid-resistant material (not metal). The pins need to be 3/16" diameter and 7/8" long. I made my own from a $5 acetal copolymer (Delrin) rod available on amazon. The next time the pump tube leaks, the roller assembly should be perfectly fine and the only thing that needs replacing is the pump tube. I'm sure there are other/better materials that would be stiff enough and wear resistant enough to use - maybe nylon? I've had this in going 6 months so far and the plastic pins are holding up.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I did this repair using the delrin rod linked above, and it worked like a charm! Start to finish took less than an hour. Just don't do what I did, which is read the 1 FOOT rod description as a 1 INCH rod. Since I thought they were an inch long, I ordered SIX so I could do two repairs, and now I have enough delrin rod to do 72 repairs! :ROFLMAO:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.