Pentair intelliflo vsp pump poor connection to intellitouch

ParB

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
SF Bay area (silicon valley)
Hi all,

My vsp pump had a connection via the control wire to intellitouch. It's somewhat intermittent. When it works, it works great. But sometimes it stops working and I got jiggle the connection on the pump side to get it to work again.

When it doesn't work intellitouch says no comms on the status page for intelliflo.

I can't screw in the connector with the little twist ring on the connector into the pump head, that basically guarantees that it stops working. I'm thinking that my next steps is to spray the connector with some electronics cleaner and hope it's mostly a poor electrical connection.

What would next steps be after that? Replace the cable? I don't want to replace the pump if I don't have to, so far it's been great.

My system is probably 5 or so years old. I moved in 3 years ago and I think they said it was 2 years old or so when I moved in.

Par,

If you can wiggle the connector and get it to work, it kind of narrows the problem down... :mrgreen:

I'd want to check both sides of the cannon plug for any corrosion. We have seen the pins in the IntelliFlo corroded almost in two.

If you don't see any corrosion, I'd try the electronics spray cleaner.

Could also be a poor connection between the wire in the cable and the pins in the connector.

Of course the best option is to replace the cable so that you could be swimming rather that working on the system. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Par,

Replacing the flow switch can be a minor challenge for some, but replacing the pump cable is as simple as unplugging one end and two small screws on the other end.

Is your flow switch bad for a "flow' problem, or some other issue?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The flow is fine, I just checked it. But the flow led has been constantly lit since I took notice (sometime a few weeks back when the temp got over 50).

I just took the switch out of the ic40 and measured it to see if the switch is the issue.

The contact works well as measured between red and black. I see it open and close using my ohm meter as I close the switch. I get 10kOhm between white and black which is the temp sensor according to the internet.

The flow light is constantly lit even when I short circuit the flow sensor by crossing the wires.
I assume the ic40 needs to be replaced?

It was incorrectly wired into my automation system by the installer. They powered it before the relays so it was always under power. I just corrected that today, but it has been that way for at least 2 years.. Makes me wonder if that helped my ic40 to a premature death.

Last edited:
Par,

If you short the Red and Black wires coming from the cell together, it simulates that the flow switch is closed and the Green Flow light should almost instantly come on. If the light stays Red, then there are two possibilities.

1. The little flow LED is bad.. but this should not cause an actual reported flow failure. Everything else should work.
2. The circuit in the cell that determines if the flow switch is actually closed is bad.. The only fix is a new cell... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you so much for your help!

Do you know if the ic40 and ic60 are the same dimensions? eg, can I just install into the same place as where the ic40 used to be without having to modify the pipe?

I can use the power center from my ic40 to the ic60 from what I understand?

The IC20, 40, and 60 are all interchangeable... They are the same size and all use the same power center. Take one out, and just stick the other in, no changes need to be made.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went out to the pool and tested the cell again by short circuiting the red and black wire coming from the ic40. Red flow led is still lit. I think I have fully confirmed that the cell is toast.

Order placed with polytec pools. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
For what it's worth. I mentioned I had two problems, one was swg and the other was comms to the intelliflow pump from easytouch. The comms cable had to be perfectly seated in the pump to work, and it kind of worked intermittently.

I bought some electronic cleaner spray on Amazon and thoroughly sprayed the comms cable connector, both the cable side and the pump side. After that I reattached the cable and tightened it. Works like a charm. Maybe someone else benefit from this knowledge.

I used this stuff, safe for plastics and can be sprayed on live electric circuits.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.