Pentair Intelliflo VSF rpm and run time Advice needed

May 10, 2017
Chicago, IL
We would like some advice on how to set our Pentair Intelliflo VSF rpm and run time at each rpm to maximize energy efficiency. Current weather 100 degrees
  1. Pool is about 17,000 gal
  2. pentair racer booster pump
  3. 1 bubbler
  4. In line tablet chlorinator
  5. 2 skimmers
Any help appreciated!!

I've just gone through this exercise, so maybe I can offer something helpful.

Every pool and plumbing setup is different, so you'll have to find your optimal speeds by experimentation. But there are some general guidelines:
  • You may find that there's a lower limit -- it's around 800 RPM for the Intellipro pump in my system; yours may be different -- below which the pump will stop and re-prime every 30 seconds or so. You shouldn't run slower than that.
  • Efficiency is best just above that lower limit. As the speed increases from there, efficiency quickly gets worse -- because doubling the speed takes more than double the power, and doubling the flow takes more than double the speed. So gallon for gallon, low speed for a long time is more efficient than high speed for a short time.
  • Pool filter pumps are designed to run 24/7 safely and reliably, so there's no longevity tradeoff for energy efficiency.
It sounds like you'll want to set at least three filter-pump speeds: one for basic pool recirculation, one for the bubbler, and one for the booster pump and cleaner. I would do this:
  1. Experiment to find the lowest speed at which your skimmers will keep the pool surface clean if you run the pump all day, and make that the basic pool speed. For some people it's 1000 RPM, but in my pool the skimmer doesn't really start to do anything until 1500 RPM (fortunately, it doesn't need to run 24 hours a day at that speed to keep my pool clean).
  2. Similarly, set the bubbler speed to the lowest speed at which the bubbler works well.
  3. The filter pump must be running when the booster pump runs. It probably doesn't need to be running much faster than the basic pool speed, but the booster pump will be drawing 1200+ watts continuously, so there's no need to try to squeeze every bit of efficiency out of the filter pump here. Just find a reasonably low filter-pump speed at which the cleaner works well, and then optimize by shortening the cleaning time if you can.
  4. If your chlorinator output is dependent on the water flow rate, make sure that it's producing enough FC at these pump speeds.
  5. If you have a heater, it may have a minimum flow requirement that's much higher than your basic recirculating speed. Make sure that the pump will be running fast enough when the heater is on. Same thing may apply for other equipment.

Last edited:
kw,

The two main reasons to run your pump are:

1. To generate the chlorine that your pool needs if you have a tab feeder or SWCG
2. To skim the pool the way you like.

I run my pump 24/7, at 1200 RPM most of the time, for less than $20 bucks a month. Newer IntelliFlo pumps are even more energy efficient.

I like generating a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. Not something that is required, just something I like to do.

Your tab feeder may or may not work well at low RPMs, but you will need to experiment with your pool set up and see how it works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.