Pentair intelliflo vsf 3hp vs Hayward SP3400VSP

praj82

Sep 23, 2017
Peoria/Az
I am having to replace the original pool pump and figured go variable speed. I have a play pool approx 10k gallons, I live in peoria, az where we keep the pools running year round. My pool guy recommended the hayward however the gal at my local pool store is praising the pentair intelliflo vsf, she claims it will save a lot more on energy costs, I also want to mention there is no spa connected to the pool and there is a waterfall. The pentair is about $220 than the hayward from what I found online, I don't mind the extra cost if in fact it will save more money. She did also mention that you can program the intelliflo to exact size gallons of water for your pool so I do like that and claimed it's a guessing game on the rpm's on the hayward but assuming my pool guy can dial one in especially with him owning one. Thoughts?

From what I understand they are both great pumps and I don't believe one will save you more than the other. It just depends on how fast you have the pump running. As far as I know the Pentair pump cannot be programmed for the size of the pool. You decide how long it runs and at what RPM. More on that here: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

The main reason to pick between Hayward and Pentair is for automation. You want to keep your equipment all the same brand so they can "talk" to each other.

I am having to replace the original pool pump and figured go variable speed. I have a play pool approx 10k gallons, I live in peoria, az where we keep the pools running year round. My pool guy recommended the hayward however the gal at my local pool store is praising the pentair intelliflo vsf, she claims it will save a lot more on energy costs, I also want to mention there is no spa connected to the pool and there is a waterfall. The pentair is about $220 than the hayward from what I found online, I don't mind the extra cost if in fact it will save more money. She did also mention that you can program the intelliflo to exact size gallons of water for your pool so I do like that and claimed it's a guessing game on the rpm's on the hayward but assuming my pool guy can dial one in especially with him owning one. Thoughts?

P,

Sounds to me like your pool lady still believes in the "Turnovers per day" myth. There is absolutely no reason to turnover a set amount of pool water per day. It is an old wife's tail.

The Pentair you listed, the VSF, is the latest in that line and actually can be set as a Variable Speed pump or as a Variable Flow pump. I suspect that is what she meant when she said it could be adjusted for your pool size.

Since this is the latest pump, it is also the most expensive pump. You can still find the original VS IntelliFlo (011018) for less than $900 bucks, and it is considered the 'Gold Standard' in pool pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not sure how much water the waterfall needs or what pool pump is presently there circulating the water. Knowing what pump is there to work the waterfall will help in making a decision. The Pentair Interllflo is a 3HP impeller and the EcoStar SP3400VSP is a 2HP impeller. Both Pentair and Hayward make smaller and less costly VSP's. Not sure on the Pentair line but Hayward makes a Super, Max Flo and TriStar VSP's with smaller imperllers. Just my 2 cents.

I am actually in the same boat at Praj82. My 1.5hp Hayward Northstar motor went out and I am shopping VS pumps. I was told to pay more attention to the flow rate for THD (ft. water) versus HP ratings on the pumps. So I know I need a pump that moves the water at least 52gpm but I cannot figure out where this flow rating matters. Does 52gpm flow rate matter only during the cleaning cycle (3100 to 3400rpm) or does the pump need to move the water 52gpm at a minimum regardless of pump speed (rpm's), matching your pool's THD (ft. water).

Total Dynamic of Head (Ft. of water). I do not know what this number is for me. My Skimmer and Drain's (2) are equally 15' to 20' away from the pump so 60' of THD at a minimum. However since I have an in floor cleaning system must I account for the plumbing of each pop-up as well to come up with an estimate of THD for my Pool. Called Shasta who built the pool 15 years ago and they were no help.

ULTIMATELY the NorthStar pump flowed 131gpm at 40' (3450rpm) and 105gpm at 60'. The pumps I am looking at appear either over powering or under powered. Pentair Intelliflo VS 3hp and Hayward Tri-Star VS 1.5hp.

Am I over thinking this?

Yen,

Yes you are.. Within reason there is no such thing as an overpowered VS pump.

When driving your car you use the accelerator to control the amount of HP you use. Just because you have 200 HP does not mean you have to use all of it.. VS pumps are the same way, only use the HP you need.

The good thing about a large VS pump is ... when you want to get on the "freeway", there is plenty of power to do it... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

So when running a VS pump at low speed 400rpm to 1500rpm does the flow rate matter still? And if so to what extent? I know I will need to set the speed high enough so my SWG will create chlorine, and keep the in ground cleaning system circulating. Both the 3Hp and 1.5hp pumps will flow enough during the cleaning cycle. But when set to slower speeds say 90% power the Tri-Star does not meet the 52gpm flow rate necessary for my pool (34gpm at 60'), where at the 3hp pump will support the 52gpm flow rate down to 2350rpm at 60'. So where does the flow rate matter? Always or only during cleaning mode?

Yen,

Honestly, what I know about flow rates and feet of head, could fit on the pointy end of a pin... :p

But, from practical experience I can say that my IC40's flow switch closes at about 1000 rpm, but I run at 1200 just to make sure. I have no idea what the flow rate is..

I also know that to run my three port waterfall wall the pump must run at 2800 rpm, to make it look the way I want.

But each pool is different and that is what, in my mind, make the VS pumps great.... you can adjust the pump to fit the situation..

My guess would be that it would have to run at, or close to, full speed to power an in-floor system.

I guess my whole point was that with a bigger pump, you really don't need to worry about flow rates, as you just increase the speed until it works. Obviously, within reason... If you've got a huge grotto waterfall, then you need to have a pump designed for waterfalls..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.