Pentair Intelliflo VF vs. Intelliflo VS 3050

I thought you could run a VS 3050 on a timer, a 2-pole timer.

on page 22 of instruction manual:
NOTE: When the pump is started and stopped by removing power with a relay or timer,
a two-pole device should be used to apply and remove power to both POWER LINE TERMINALS.

DIY_Dave said:
This discussion has been helpful , thanks to all...

I'm seriously considering buying an Intilliflo VS+ SVRS because it has a built-in timer (absent on the VS) and it doesn't cost as much as the VF. My current pump is controlled by a mechanical timer, and I've heard that Intilliflo pumps are not compatitble with mechanical timers. So to avoid the cost of buying a new controller my thought is go with the VS+ SVRS.

I also have a Polaris booster pump for the sweeper. My question for the readers is whether the VS+ SVRS (without a new controller) is compatible with the Polaris booster (which I plan to continue operating with a mechanical timer).

Thanks for your input.

I've got this exact configuration. I have two timers, one for the Intelliflo, one for the booster pump sweep. I've set the timer for the one to the Intelliflo to be on all the time, and just use the timer contained in the Intelliflo.

I've set the one for the booster pump to be on for a period at which the Intelliflo would be on. I think the main risk here is that if the clocks get out of sync (which would happen after a power failure), there might be a chance that the booster pump is turned on when the Intelliflo is off. Not sure if this is risky as I think there would still be enough flow through the booster pump to not cause problems.

The Intelliflo appears to have a battery backup that keeps the clock running and the settings saved when the power is off.

ride525 said:
I thought you could run a VS 3050 on a timer, a 2-pole timer.
The VS requires either a Pentair brand automation system or an IntelliComm II to be able to run at more than one speed without manual intervention. You can manually adjust that one speed to be any speed you want.

A 2 pole timer switches both hot lines on a 230v circuit at the same time. That is not the same thing as a two channel timer which can control two different devices.

Jason,

Doesn't the VS manual suggest you CAN run the VS on a 2 pole timer? See my quote from the manual above. I realize that you can't change speeds without manual intervention, but a simple pool only install could be run by the two pole timer, and the speed manually changed at backwash time, etc.
Right?

Jeff

Sure, if you are happy with setting the speed manually, then a standard timer (which will be two pole) is just fine.

It is only if you want the timer to set one speed at one time of day, and a different speed at a different time of day, that you need an automation system or an IntelliComm II.

I finally purchased my Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050. Long story short.... the guy that is coming to install seems to have a good reputation around here for knowing what he is doing. He said one way for the skimmer to work better while running the VS 3050 on a lower speed is to close off the valve a little on the main drain and it will make the skimmer work better. Does that sound right? It makes sense to me. Although, I'm not really sure what the main drain does anyway. Does anyone have an answer? The guy is suppose to come and install the pump tomorrow!

That is good advice.

The main drain serves several purposes, none of which are critical. It helps circulation of the deep water and insures that through mixing takes place. It is a handy place to sweep debris towards. It will continue to draw water even if your skimmer(s) get clogged. Main drains work much better at very high flow rates than skimmers alone. And so on.

This has been a great discussion and very timely for me. I am going to purchase either a VF or VS this week. I was leaning toward a VF because I am not ready for the full automation package for my pool/spa; however, one of these days I want it all automated. After reading this thread, I'm now leaning toward a VS.

If anybody could summarize the practical differences between the VF and VS, I'd be obliged! (And I suppose I already am indebted to this forum and the people who help us newbies!)

Mark

The VF has a fancy timer that can only control the pump, the VS does not. The VF can program speeds based on flow rates in addition to speeds, for example: maintain 30 gpm, whatever motor speed that requires, the VS can only do speeds. The VF has a fancy primed/not primed detector that is normally very useful but can cause problems with an in-floor cleaning system, the VS does not. The VF has a fancy display that tells you neat things like how many watts it is currently using, the VS does not. Both models are extremely energy efficient, can run at up to 3 HP, and can be set to at a wide range of speeds in very small steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally got my new Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050! I love it but I have been having a little air bubble problem. It was installed last Monday(6-28-10). I started seeing little air bubbles coming out of the returns. I called the installer and he said it could be a number of things. I definitely saw him fill the strainer basket with water to prime the pump before he started it. Anyway... after he said "it could be a number of things", I played with it for a while. Mainly, I checked the valve controls, brought the speed down slowly from 3 to 1 and then off. I started back up slowly and used the little air release valve on the filter and it finally got rid of the bubbles. Yesterday, I stopped the pump so could backwash and rinse, etc. I started it all back up again and I am having the same air bubble problem. I tried what I did last time but it hasn't helped so far. I am going to try it again this morning before I leave for work. (Note: After I fixed it last week, I have been running it on Speed 3- 24/7 , which for what we set it on, it's the same pressure on the filter as the old pump-I don't have controllers yet-and after I fixed the air bubble problem last week I haven't had a problem at all with bubbles until I stopped it). Any ideas?

Those bubbles indicate that air is getting into the suction side of the plumbing. Air can come from a number of places: pump strainer basket lid not sealed correctly, low water in the skimmer allowing a vortex to form that draws air into the drain, small air leaks in the plumbing where a joint is not completely sealed, etc.

One test to search for air leaks in the plumbing is to run a garden hose over various parts of the plumbing and see if it affects the amount of air you can see in the pump strainer basket. If the air in the strainer basket goes away, the place you are currently running water on is the source of the leak.

Not sure if I should be starting a new post somewhere else But...... I tried your test JasonLion and you were right! Again! The pool repair people cannot come out until next Monday evening though. Until then, is there anything I can put on that leak? It is just dripping a very tiny bit but I guess enough to make air get into the system? Anyway, is there some sort of glue type stuff to put on there until Monday evening? Also, will those bubbles hurt anything? One pool repair guy told me it won't hurt anything. I went ahead and put the Intelliflo on one of the lowest speeds just in case.

It doesn't sound like it's surging. Except for those little pockets of air that shoot out with the water every three seconds or so but everything else seems steady including those. Also.... I did notice since the Intelliflo was installed.... the Polaris seems to be floating almost to the top when not in use. And.. when in use it tends to get off the pool floor more. Does all this seem to be the same problem?

Hey! It's me again! Early this morning I went outside to check the pool. Everything looked and sounded fine and then all of a sudden the pump stopped for about 2 seconds and then started back up again on its own! I went and checked the pressure and everything looked and sounded fine. The air bubbles were still coming out though but nothing else different. I decided to turn the thing off since you had said something about "surging". I tried to call my pool guy that installed it but he doesn't return phone calls until the end of the day (around 5:30 p.m.), - if that. I'm not sure what to do about the pool until Monday evening. Monday evening another pool company is coming to check the pipes because the guy that installed the pump can't get to my house until NEXT Thursday or Friday- another whole week. Does this sound serious? The pipe I think that is the culprit is the one that the in-line chlorinator is connected to which is on a pipe that comes from the filter and back into the ground. Any suggestions?

JUST AN FYI FROM MY PREVIOUS POST JUST ENTERED: I forgot to say that there was not a power surge because I checked the clocks on the inside of the house and they were not blinking. I also still had my outside light on and it did not flash on and off. Thanks!

When there are air leaks, air can sometimes build up in the pump strainer basket. If enough air builds up, the pump can appear to pause for a moment while it is sucking up air instead of water, and then recover once it has cleared enough air out of the basket. If this is happening, it is usually fairly obvious if you are watching the pump strainer basket. Air will build up and then vanish over and over again. If that is happening, you will want to do something much sooner than a week from now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.