Pentair Intelliflo in EasyTouch 8 system no longer gets power

Mar 8, 2012
I have a Pentair easytouch 8 with an IC40 and a VS intelliflo, installed 10 years ago. Was working perfectly until tow days ago. After city blackout two nights ago and power restored, the pump (intelliflo) won't go. Easytouch has power as does IC40, but pump does not seem to have power, not even in service mode -- no LEDs light up. Suggestions? (You may need more details, please ask)
Thx!

B,

Do you have a voltmeter???

The pump should be wired to constant AC power from a circuit breaker.. So the first thing to do is reset the breaker for the pump. (I assume you have done that..)

Assuming the pump has no lights and no display...

The next thing to do is to measure the incoming power right at the pump connection. Measure between L1 and L2 and make sure you have about 240 Volt AC. Do NOT measure L1 to ground and L2 to ground, as this can give you an invalid reading.

If you have 240 VAC between L1 and L2, then your pump, or at least the control head, is bad..

If this is the case, then I would replace the whole pump/motor rather than repair a 10 year old unit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

Do you have a voltmeter???

The pump should be wired to constant AC power from a circuit breaker.. So the first thing to do is reset the breaker for the pump. (I assume you have done that..)

Assuming the pump has no lights and no display...

The next thing to do is to measure the incoming power right at the pump connection. Measure between L1 and L2 and make sure you have about 240 Volt AC. Do NOT measure L1 to ground and L2 to ground, as this can give you an invalid reading.

If you have 240 VAC between L1 and L2, then your pump, or at least the control head, is bad..

If this is the case, then I would replace the whole pump/motor rather than repair a 10 year old unit.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim,
I do have a voltmeter, so I can go ahead with the measurements, but let me understand. First "the pump has no lights and no display" do you mean that the LED's on the control panel on the pump do not light up? (The picture I attach sown the panel) If that is the case, answer is LEDs do not light up. More importantly, you say measure right at the pump connection. Looking at the picture attached, do you mean at the box on the left of the panel where the wires come out? Or at the connection in the control panel (the EasyTouch8, which is on the wall about 2 feet removed, not on the picture)?
Last, will it be obvious which are L1 and L2?

As for the circuit-breaker, it was not tripped. I turned it off and on again but made no difference. I should say it is a 2pole common-trip for the whole system. Can it be that oen pole went bad, the one for the pump, but the other still merrily powers the EasyConnect and intellichlor?
Thx
Ben

Attachments

• 2021-05-11 09-44-35.jpeg
    2021-05-11 09-44-35.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 7
Ben,

You need to test where the "Caution" warning is.. In most cases that flex line that comes in goes directly into the pump, but you have some extra gray electrical box there for some reason.. :scratch:

If you open the box, you should have three wires.. Normally you would have a Red wire, a Black wire, and a Green wire. You need to measure between the Red and Black.. Does not matter which is L1 and which is L2..

If one breaker runs both the pump and the EasyTouch then it depends on how it is wired as to what would work with one phase missing..

The pump obviously needs both phases (L1 and L2) to work, but the EasyTouch and SWCG can both run off of just 120 VAC.. Just depends on if the EasyTouch and SWCG are wired to use 120 VAC or 240 VAC..

Without a cover on your control panel, I suspect that water has gotten in there and corroded things. (Just a guess..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim
Thanks again!
So there are three leads, two read and one green. I assumed the green is ground and measured 240V between the two reds. Juts for completeness, between either of the red and the green is 120V.
(BTW, teh cover of the pumps' control panel was off for the picture -- I do have one).

So, does this mean something is wrong with the pump rather than with the EasyTouch8? I suppose there is no fuse or anything like that for the pumps' control panel? Could the connection to the EasyTouch still keep it form responding? In short what should I test next to diagnose this?

Looking forward to your next post
Ben

Ben,

The Pump is supposed to get constant 240 VAC power, which it appears it does..

The display should never be blank, unless there is something wrong with the pump/motor..

The EasyTouch controls the running of the pump via a serial cable, but even if that was bad, it would not shut off the pump's display.

If this were my IntelliFlo, I would be looking for a new one. Most likely, it is a bad control head, but at 10 years old, it does not make sense to me to buy a new control head for a 10 years old pump.. That is up to you of course..

Since you can't make it any worse, it might be worth the effort to take the control head off and open it up.. Maybe you can see something inside that is obviously broken.

Seems to me someone on this site fixed one in the past couple of years..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.