Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
Hi folks. I want to keep the spa pump on 24/7 but only heat it when I’m going to use it. Problem is my family sometimes forget to turn the heat off after using it so I end up wasting energy. Is there a way to activate the heater under some sort of an egg timer? Can’t think of a way to do that on the Intellicenter/nodejs-poolController. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@mzuniga

The only way that I know to do what I think you are attempting to do is to connect your heater power leads through a relay. This will allow you to set an egg timer to the heater as I have done. In other words, the use of an individual IntelliCenter aux power relay to control power to a standard pool/spa heater.

This is an IntelliCenter Optional Installation method / Non-Standard Practice of what I call "Jumpering Relays".

Below, I will attempt to detail this method which goes above and beyond the typical installations that are usually common among IntelliCenter installations.

“Jumpering” Relays: Some users of the IntelliCenter (and other automation systems as well), use a non-standard method that I will refer to as a “jumpered” relay. It should be noted that the IntelliCenter must have enough extra or spare relays in order to employ this non-standard method.

This method was first employed by users of the Pentair EasyTouch and IntelliTouch automation systems which is where I first noticed this type of non-standard installation method. This installation method allows for the line-side of a secondary relay to be energized ONLY when the following two conditions exist.
1. The primary relay (i.e. the Filter Pump Relay) is activated through the control system, thus energizing the load-side of the primary relay and,
2. The secondary or “jumpered” relay (AUX) circuit is also activated through the control system, thus energizing the line-side of the secondary relay.

This method of “jumpering” relays is not a requirement in most cases and is only used when a user desires added control over the On/Off function of various pool equipment or accessories, when that pool equipment requires that the pool pump circuit is first energized.

1642386482817.png
Caution: Care and understanding of this principle must be used with this or any other type of non-standard installation as wiring relays together incorrectly, can cause serious damage to equipment and should only be attempted when a user is experienced with this type of installation and thoroughly understands what they are doing.

Some users (including myself) use this method for example in order to maintain additional control over when power is delivered to their heater (On), through the use of a separate relay specifically devoted to the IntelliChlor and/or IntellipH or in this case a typical heater. I also use this method for more control over when power is delivered to the IntelliChlor transformer.

However, this secondary AUX (jumpered) relay can NOT be energized by only activating its circuit. The Filter Pump circuit must be first activated which will then deliver power to the line-side of the AUX relay and then allow the load-side of the AUX relay to be energized.

NOTE: When utilizing a Pentair IntelliFlo Pump as the filter pump, it is important to note that if the IntelliFlo pump power is wired correctly, then the activation of the Filter Pump Relay is NOT what delivers power to the pump.

The IntelliFlo pump should be wired HOT at all times either by wiring it to the LINE side of the filter pump relay or directly to the breaker (either method will deliver the same result).

By activating the Filter Pump circuit, it activates the pump motor via the properly connected pump control cable. But by doing so, it also energizes the LOAD side of the Filter Pump Relay.

This then essentially delivers power then to the LINE side of the heater relay when this non-standard installation method is utilized and thus, just ensures that the pump motor is running before the LOAD side of the heater relay can be energized through its associated feature circuit.

This method allows a user to completely control when power is delivered to the heater (through this separate circuit), so long as the filter pump relay is first energized.

The procedure to implement this non-standard installation method requires that the user connect “jumper” leads from the LOAD side of the Filter Pump relay to the LINE side of this "jumpered" AUX relay and then connect the heater to the LINE side of this second relay as illustrated below.

2020-04-22_15-21-24-jpg.134340

Then the user can create individual Circuit Groups that utilize the heater. The user can then schedule those Circuit Groups as applicable.

Now, I am the first to admit that heater control for most standard heaters is typically accomplished through the 24Vac low-voltage contacts on the IntelliCenter motherboard (J2), wired to the heaters’ On/Off "fireman's" switch. And this IS the typical method for wiring and controlling a standard heater through the IntelliCenter Control System and should be used by those IntelliCenter users that do not have additional spare power relays installed in their IntelliCenter Load Center.

However, this typical and standard installation method also means that there is always 240Vac power that is constantly being delivered to the heater terminal block and there is a very small possibility that the pressure switch could fail or accidentally get activated which would mean that the heater could be activated when water is not flowing through the heater.

I never really thought about this fact and the possibility of limiting when power is delivered to the heater by use of a power relay (I’m not that smart). Credit goes to @bdavis466 for thinking about this issue and devising a method on how to correct it. (See the following posts for related information.)

Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information
Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

Now that heater power is controlled via a "jumpered" relay, an Aux Circuit name can be established. I call mine "Heater Relay" (not very original, I'll admit :p).
Then a Circuit Group can be created such as I have done. Anytime I want to use the spa, I just execute the Circuit Group and the following is accomplished.
1. Heater Bypass Valve opened.
2. Pool/Spa Suction Valve moved to spa position.
3. Pool/Spa Return Valve moved to spa position.
4. Spa Circuit activated.
5. Line Side of the Heater Relay energized (power to the heater).

As you can see in the illustration below, my Circuit Group (aptly named "Relax") has an Egg Timer set for 4 hours. That way, if too many adult bevs are consumed while in the spa, then all 3 of the applicable valves are returned to normal, spa circuit is deactivated and power is removed from the heater after 4 hours.

1642387495991.png

Or for those of us fortunate enough to employ nodejs-poolController-Dashpanel as yourself, here ya go....
1642387737045.png

Hope this helps and I hope you have at least one spare power relay left in that big i10D. :goodjob:
r...

Last edited:
Another way to do this (I think) would be to make the main spa circuit your circuit that the family turns on and off for heating and which has an egg timer on it. You then have another circuit called Spa Circulation (or some such) which runs the pump only (I.e. same pump but no heating) for 12 hours a day or whatever grabs you.

Only downside that I can see is that the spa will appear as off in the pool / spa menu except when heating. You will then have a circuit appearing in features which shows as on for your 8, 12 or 18 hours of circulation.

Last edited:
Both great ideas @MyAZPool and @SA Pentair User! I'll look into them but it seems one of them should fit my needs.

Now, would you still be able to control temperature right? And will eithe setup will still give cooldown delay to the heater somehow?

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer.

Last edited:
Both great ideas @MyAZPool and @SA Pentair User! I'll look into them but it seems one of them should fit my needs.

Now, would you still be able to control temperature right? And will eithe setup will still give cooldown delay to the heater somehow?

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer.
Yes you would. You would need to manually turn (or schedule) the spa circuit on to adjust heating. Circulation will continue irrespective of whether you do this.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I'm happy to report that I implemented the idea suggested by @SA Pentair User this morning and it works like a charm. As a matter of fact I find this solution better for my case as with dashPanel it is more intuitive for my wife to just press the big green spa button when she wants to get it rather than go into the heat mode sub panel and do it there. Many thanks to you sir as well as to @MyAZPool for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.