Pentair Intellicenter Question

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
Good day all! It's almost time to open the pool and I try to add a little something new every year. This year might be automation. Call me lazy, but I would love to be able to be coming home and fire up the pool heater for the spa instead of waiting the 30 minutes for it to fire, not to mention turning the valves by hand, etc.

Truth be told, Intellicenter is probably overkill, but we might go with a full underground at some point and I have built everything in anticipation of that happening. VS pump

I'm not sure what's in my sig, but I have a 13K or so AGP and a 1800 gallon swim spa connected to the same system. I was using a cheap intex SWG but that crapped out last year, so I'd like to replace with an IC unit. My question is would an IC40 be too big for the system? I would have preferred an IC20, but I don't see the Intellicenter sold that way.

I'm leaning towards i5PSIC40 unless anyone steers me in a different direction? Is the i85PSIC40 the same with a few extra relays which could always be added later if needed?

Thanks!!!

Good day all! It's almost time to open the pool and I try to add a little something new every year. This year might be automation. Call me lazy, but I would love to be able to be coming home and fire up the pool heater for the spa instead of waiting the 30 minutes for it to fire, not to mention turning the valves by hand, etc.

Truth be told, Intellicenter is probably overkill, but we might go with a full underground at some point and I have built everything in anticipation of that happening. VS pump

I'm not sure what's in my sig, but I have a 13K or so AGP and a 1800 gallon swim spa connected to the same system. I was using a cheap intex SWG but that crapped out last year, so I'd like to replace with an IC unit. My question is would an IC40 be too big for the system? I would have preferred an IC20, but I don't see the Intellicenter sold that way.

I'm leaning towards i5PSIC40 unless anyone steers me in a different direction? Is the i85PSIC40 the same with a few extra relays which could always be added later if needed?

Thanks!!!
3 more relays yes, but a different daughter card as well.
r.

3 more relays yes, but a different daughter card as well.
r.

So what does the daughter card do, just allow everything to communicate with the relays? Just curious. I would assume you can purchase at a later date.

I can't find them separate, does anyone know what the cost would be or is?

Any comments on an IC40 being overkill for such a small system. From my understanding it can be controlled in 1% increments.

IC40 would be appropriate. You want at least double the volume, so the IC20 would probably be too small since you over the 10k point.

Relays can be added pretty easily.
Installation manual on Pentair site has part numbers for all the daughter boards and relays.

If you decide to add more relays, you will need a daughter card also to control the extra relays as the base configuration only controls 5 relays.

This is the relay on Amazon (I think this is the non-Pentair version, but Omron is the OEM I believe)

Indicates 25A.

Update 2:
Ignore again what I posted before.

I would have @MyAZPool provide daughter board details as he has way more knowledge on this...I cannot find the upgrade package either...

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool
rob.mwpropane
Does anyone know the amperage limit on the relays? I'd like to connect my swim spa to it, but that's a 50amp circuit.
Some references indicate that the relays are 20 amps. But the OmRon relay indicates 25 amps on the relay itself (I just took a look). Maybe Pentair derated them. Not really sure.
I can't find the standalone price on the daughter card.
I wouldn't buy just a stand alone daughter card. They are very expensive when purchased a la carte.
If you think that you need 8 relays (now or in the future), purchase the i8PSIC40 now (much less expensive going this route).
If you only need the 5 relay kit, it will still come with a daughter card (because it is the PS model), but will only support 5 relays and not 8.

Here is further information regarding the models and how they differ from one another and also a lot of information regarding the relays, daughter cards and everything else "IntelliCenter".
Take care.
r.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Do you know of any tricks to use a relay for a larger breaker. I might be able to wire in an ice cube relay as a simple on and off maybe. I just didn't know if they had an of the shelf solution.

Thanks for your help.

You can definitely control another contactor/relay that could handle the 50A load. You didn't indicate whether your spa was 120V or 240V, so just need to make sure you get a contactor that can handle what you need.

Ryan

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yep, I updated to delete the link and point to someone smarter :)

I caught it after posting...sorry about that
:p Sorry about that. Our posts got crossed real-time.
Smarter? No way. Too much time on my hands? lol.... Maybe.
Stay safe and thanks!!
r.

Lol...the comedic relief is 1/2 the reason I come here!

My spa is a barefoot spa SS15, 240V. I will throw this out there though, I don't use the heating element which I know is a large draw. I have a closed loop tied in underneath to the pool equipment to use the 400K pool heater as opposed to electric.

Lol...the comedic relief is 1/2 the reason I come here!

My spa is a barefoot spa SS15, 240V. I will throw this out there though, I don't use the heating element which I know is a large draw. I have a closed loop tied in underneath to the pool equipment to use the 400K pool heater as opposed to electric.
Interesting. I would measure the current used when you have it on (not the heater) to determine actual current draw of the blower motor, etc. If you are going to use wiring,etc that does not support the heater in the spa, then I would make sure and disable that functionality in the spa so it doesn't accidentally get turned on. Also make sure the breaker you install is sized to the wire used and relay contacts.

Interesting. I would measure the current used when you have it on (not the heater) to determine actual current draw of the blower motor, etc. If you are going to use wiring,etc that does not support the heater in the spa, then I would make sure and disable that functionality in the spa so it doesn't accidentally get turned on. Also make sure the breaker you install is sized to the wire used and relay contacts.

It is unique for sure. I have removed the contacts from the heating element on the inside of the spa. When I want to use the spa I go outside and turn the breaker to the spa on (so the water can start circulating) and the switch to the heater on. Withing 30 min or so the spa is up to temp and ready. I have a 50 amp GFI breaker installed as per Balboa's recommendation for the control panel in the spa.

It doesn't have a blower (just venturi's), but it does have 5 pumps...I know 3 of which are 12 amps each. The other 2 are 2 speed and I believe are 2 / 12 amps for low / high. I'm not an electrician, so I'm not sure how it can all add to more than 50amps even before the heater is turned on, but that's how my main e box is inside also....200 amp service, but more than 200amps...

The next time I have it apart I'll measure the current.

Do you have a recommendation for which relay to get that could work inline with the Pentair relay? MAybe something like this?

It is unique for sure. I have removed the contacts from the heating element on the inside of the spa. When I want to use the spa I go outside and turn the breaker to the spa on (so the water can start circulating) and the switch to the heater on. Withing 30 min or so the spa is up to temp and ready. I have a 50 amp GFI breaker installed as per Balboa's recommendation for the control panel in the spa.

It doesn't have a blower (just venturi's), but it does have 5 pumps...I know 3 of which are 12 amps each. The other 2 are 2 speed and I believe are 2 / 12 amps for low / high. I'm not an electrician, so I'm not sure how it can all add to more than 50amps even before the heater is turned on, but that's how my main e box is inside also....200 amp service, but more than 200amps...

The next time I have it apart I'll measure the current.

Do you have a recommendation for which relay to get that could work inline with the Pentair relay? MAybe something like this?

That SSR is DC controlled, so you would have to either provide DC through the Pentair relay or control a AC/DC transformer with the Pentair relay if that makes sense. I also assume you will need a 3 phase relay, not just a relay that can handle 240VAC.

Ryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.